Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,I'm a current y10 GCSE student.I would like to study medicine at a top university(Cambridge) later on.
    I have Traget grade for subject in my GCSE ,so for example,for all science my target grades are A*.However are these the same as predicted grades and if not when do you get you predicted grades for GCSEs ?so after your mocks or?
    Finally,do university look at gcse predicted grades or just GCSEs,A-level and A-level predicted grades?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VNN)
    Hello,I'm a current y10 GCSE student.I would like to study medicine at a top university(Cambridge) later on.
    I have Traget grade for subject in my GCSE ,so for example,for all science my target grades are A*.However are these the same as predicted grades and if not when do you get you predicted grades for GCSEs ?so after your mocks or?
    Finally,do university look at gcse predicted grades or just GCSEs,A-level and A-level predicted grades?
    Thanks.
    Teachers will decide on your predicted grades based on the work you have done and how you perform in class and in exams. Targets are worked out from the various IQ type tests you do when you arrive in school and progress through it. They may or may not be the same. They have absolutely no relevance for university applications, if they are only for GCSE. By the time you apply for university, your GCSEs will be a done deal, and in the past. Predictions are of no use, nor would universities ask for them.

Since you will apply to university before you get your A levels, your predicted grades are important for them, and your teachers will supply them to the university using the same methods as above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VNN)
    Thanks.
    In my school, we have a "target grade" which is basically generated by a computer. Then we have "predicted grade" which is what the teachers think we are gonna get. Every school does it differently.

Look, you're in Year 10, and it is still very early days. You're predicted grades can change MASSIVELY throughout Year 11. Honestly, I was predicted a C in Biology at the end of Year 10, and I'm now predicted an A*. There are plenty more examples of this in other subjects, where I was doing hopelessly last Year, but now all of my "predictions" are 3 A*s and 8 As!

Universities wouldn't look at predicted grades for GCSEs, because why would they need to? You would already have your actual grades by then lol... However, I do believe they look at A Level predictions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Teachers will decide on your predicted grades based on the work you have done and how you perform in class and in exams. Targets are worked out from the various IQ type tests you do when you arrive in school and progress through it. They may or may not be the same. They have absolutely no relevance for university applications, if they are only for GCSE. By the time you apply for university, your GCSEs will be a done deal, and in the past. Predictions are of no use, nor would universities ask for them.

Since you will apply to university before you get your A levels, your predicted grades are important for them, and your teachers will supply them to the university using the same methods as above.
    Ok and when exactly will your receive your predicted grades.Im not worried but when would you receive them,at the start of y11 or?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romansholiday)
    In my school, we have a "target grade" which is basically generated by a computer. Then we have "predicted grade" which is what the teachers think we are gonna get. Every school does it differently.

Look, you're in Year 10, and it is still very early days. You're predicted grades can change MASSIVELY throughout Year 11. Honestly, I was predicted a C in Biology at the end of Year 10, and I'm now predicted an A*. There are plenty more examples of this in other subjects, where I was doing hopelessly last Year, but now all of my "predictions" are 3 A*s and 8 As!

Universities wouldn't look at predicted grades for GCSEs, because why would they need to? You would already have your actual grades by then lol... However, I do believe they look at A Level predictions.
    When do you normally receive your predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VNN)
    Ok and when exactly will your receive your predicted grades.Im not overly worried as I'm supposing my are A or A* but when would you receive them,at the start of y11 or?
    Depends on when your school does it. There will be several times when grades are generated, but it's up to the school to decide. (I'm assuming you mean GCSE here.)

For A level, it'll be at some point before you apply to university and they will be put into your application reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VNN)
    When do you normally receive your predicted grades?
    My school updates predicted grades at the end of every term, so pretty frequently for me. I got my last predicted grades before GCSE period 2 weeks ago

But as I said, it's different for other schools.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.