Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people say that Movie Sequels aren't as good? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering something why do most people say that Movie sequels are not as good as their originals. But I think that some sequels are really as good as the original movie for example Shrek 2, Shrek the third, Diary of a wimpy kid 2- Rodrick Rules
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Becayse in most cases they are not. They tend to be made because he producers want to cash in on the commercial success of the first.

Sequels that are good.

Aliens, which isnt better, just good in its own right.
    Empire Strikes Back
    Mad Max.
    Terminator 2.

ReputationRep:
    Sequels generally have a reputation for being worse than the first installments. There are exceptions like Spider-Man 2, Winter Soldier, Rush Hour 2 and The Dark Knight but on the whole, sequels rarely live up to the originals. Some examples below:

Spoiler:
    Show

Amazing Spider-Man 2
    Paul Blart 2
    Ride Along 2
    Grown Ups 2
    Avengers - Age Of Ultron
    Iron Man 2
    Terminator 3, 4 and 5
    The Godfather 2
    Jurassic Park - The Lost World
    X-Men 3
    2 Fast 2 Furious
    Taken 2 & 3

ReputationRep:
    When a sequel is unplanned, it tends to be a money grab and therefore lacks passion. Films that lack passion lack certain qualities, and usually aren't as good. If sequels are already written or planned, they can sometimes be good. But usually the original film has had the most time and effort spent on it and films similar to it will lack its qualities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharkbate633)
    I was just wondering something why do most people say that Movie sequels are not as good as their originals. But I think that some sequels are really as good as the original movie for example Shrek 2, Shrek the third, Diary of a wimpy kid 2- Rodrick Rules

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just sequel syndrome. Most sequels are limited in terms of story by their prequels and limits the directors creativity. Also most movie producers know that a sequel is going to be more popular so they try to make it mainstream as possible so more sequels can be made in the future. There's generally less character development in sequels, the matrix sequels are a good example. Most sequels which have been good tend to deviate from the story of the prequel.

ReputationRep:
    The Hunger Games was a franchise that gotten worse as it went along. First one was great, second was ok, third was meh... By Mockingjay Part 2 i just wanted the whole thing to be over and done. I didn't give a **** about Katniss's final confrontation with Snow. That film was way too long for what it was.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asif007)
    Sequels generally have a reputation for being worse than the first installments. There are exceptions like Spider-Man 2, Winter Soldier, Rush Hour 2 and The Dark Knight but on the whole, sequels rarely live up to the originals. Some examples below:

Spoiler:
    Show

Amazing Spider-Man 2
    Paul Blart 2
    Ride Along 2
    Grown Ups 2
    Avengers - Age Of Ultron
    Iron Man 2
    Terminator 3, 4 and 5
    The Godfather 2
    X-Men 3
    2 Fast 2 Furious
    Taken 2 & 3

With the Superhero films i find there's too much world building and less trying to make them great stand alone films. Thats why Deadpool was great for me. Less of the world building BS and straight to the film

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jblackmoustache)
    With the Superhero films i find there's too much world building and less trying to make them great stand alone films. Thats why Deadpool was great for me. Less of the world building BS and straight to the film

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree to some extent. Before the Marvel Cinematic Universe started in 2008, most superhero films were excellent as stand-alone creations or franchises. Sam Raimi's Spider-Man films and Bryan Singer's X-Men films weren't concerned with building a universe but told great stories instead. Having said that, I'm still a big fan of all the inter-connected stories in the MCU nowadays as Marvel are the most reliable for stepping up the superhero game every year. Winter Soldier was a world-builder as well as being a brilliant film (and a sequel) in its own right. You need only look at how well Civil War will do once it releases, and I'm sure Doctor Strange and Guardians 2 will be the same. I haven't seen Deadpool yet but I'm dying to see it as soon as it becomes available online - I think the digital release is tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if Fox eventually make an attempt at integrating Deadpool into their X-Men world given that Colossus shows up in the film. Like it or not, shared universes are part and parcel of the superhero movie genre nowadays but I don't think that necessarily makes them any less enjoyable as films. Unless you're thinking of Batman V Superman, which I hear compromised on story in favour of world-building (I haven't seen that either).

ReputationRep:
    Good point. People are always like 'this is a rare example of a sequel as good as/better than the original.'
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A lot of sequels people compare it to the original and really if you compare a movie to one which you view as better then you are going to give the movie a negative image on that. Generally the story won't be as thought out unless it was an intended sequel which was meant to continue the story of the first. I've been disappointed with loads of sequels in the last 2 years because they were so unnecessary and clearly cash grabs profiting off the originals name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asif007)

Spoiler:
    Show

Amazing Spider-Man 2
    Paul Blart 2
    Ride Along 2
    Grown Ups 2
    Avengers - Age Of Ultron
    Iron Man 2
    Terminator 3, 4 and 5
    The Godfather 2
    X-Men 3
    2 Fast 2 Furious
    Taken 2 & 3

imo The Godfather 2 is on the same level as The Godfather if not better.

ReputationRep:
    I guess because they're not planned - authors writing a book generally start out intending it to be a trilogy or a series of stories or whatever.

On the other hand, movies tend to get sequels when the first one does well, so they're more of a corporate product. The director, writers, producer, - almost everything - can change in the sequel. This doesn't happen with books, really.

ReputationRep:
    Sequels are usually more rushed, so they loose the spark the first film had - I haven't found this to be true for all films though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muf_mur)
    imo The Godfather 2 is on the same level as The Godfather if not better.
    It has almost always been implied that The Godfather 2 is the greatest of the trilogy. The original film is also a classic, and is credited with having opened the door for the sequels as well as other aspects of cinema, but the second film was definitely superior!

ReputationRep:
    What about Back to the Future: Trilogy? Love all 3 of those films!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.