loukiawells
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi so I'm in year 11 which means next year I'm starting the new A-levels where we take all of our options as AS and A2 in year thirteen and only take the subject we plan to drop in year 12, this means i need to know at the begging of the year which subject I want to drop which is hard because i have no idea which one I'm going to struggle with most at such a hard level. My options are Chemisty, Biology, Physics and History. I definitely don't want to drop chemisty becausd I took the gcse in year 10 and got an A* and its my favourite subject. My second favourite subject is history which is frustrasting because it probably seems like the obvious choice to drop. I dont want to do this though because i like essay subjects just as much as sciences and i did really want to pick literature too but in the end decided against it, so i dont want to take history just for one year because i enjoy it and I think it shows more variety. The last two left is physics and biology. While i like physics more ive been told it is difficult without maths (i know for a fact that i dont want to take maths please dont suggest it) and furthermore it might not be as useful as biology if i want to do a degree in medicine but i really like it so i dont want to drop it :') so yeah which one should i drop and is it possible to take all four as full a levels or is the work load too difficult?
Wordsaredeadly
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Drop physics
james813
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
you might want to do maths, as it will help you with physics/chemistry/biology
Wordsaredeadly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Looking at the Oxford entry requirements it says:
Candidates are required to achieve at least a grade A in both Chemistry and at least one of Biology, Physics or Mathematics.
So if you do chemistry and biology you can drop physics...
I'm doing maths,chemistry,biology & history
Dropping history sadly...
loukiawells
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wordsaredeadly)
Looking at the Oxford entry requirements it says:
Candidates are required to achieve at least a grade A in both Chemistry and at least one of Biology, Physics or Mathematics.
So if you do chemistry and biology you can drop physics...
I'm doing maths,chemistry,biology & history
Dropping history sadly...
Thank you that really helped (: and noo why?
loukiawells
Rep:
?
(Original post by james813)
you might want to do maths, as it will help you with physics/chemistry/biology
Ive never enjoued maths due to me having awful teachers every yeae and while my luck could change ive just come to hate it now
Wordsaredeadly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by loukiawells)
Thank you that really helped (: and noo why?
Cause I won't do 4 & I think maths would help better for medicine.
javari112
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by loukiawells)
Hi so I'm in year 11 which means next year I'm starting the new A-levels where we take all of our options as AS and A2 in year thirteen and only take the subject we plan to drop in year 12, this means i need to know at the begging of the year which subject I want to drop which is hard because i have no idea which one I'm going to struggle with most at such a hard level. My options are Chemisty, Biology, Physics and History. I definitely don't want to drop chemisty becausd I took the gcse in year 10 and got an A* and its my favourite subject. My second favourite subject is history which is frustrasting because it probably seems like the obvious choice to drop. I dont want to do this though because i like essay subjects just as much as sciences and i did really want to pick literature too but in the end decided against it, so i dont want to take history just for one year because i enjoy it and I think it shows more variety. The last two left is physics and biology. While i like physics more ive been told it is difficult without maths (i know for a fact that i dont want to take maths please dont suggest it) and furthermore it might not be as useful as biology if i want to do a degree in medicine but i really like it so i dont want to drop it :' so yeah which one should i drop and is it possible to take all four as full a levels or is the work load too difficult?
Don't take physics without maths, you'll struggle a lot. If I was you i'd take Chem, Bio, History and any other subject you like. You can drop the 4th option later as you'll only really need chem and bio. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (8)
13.79%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (11)
18.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (27)
46.55%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (9)
15.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads