If the UK leaves the EU what would happen? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thye would negotiate a deal.
    Life would go on.
    People would moan at the UK Govt more. Some people would forver blame the EU, even when it was nothing to do with them. People are dumb.

No more EU immigration?

ReputationRep:
    Things would get noticeably a little bit *****er in almost every way. That's the depressing part of it - it wouldn't be a disaster, it'd just be a bit rubbish.

We'd look isolated internationally. But I don't think many people really care too much about that.

ReputationRep:
    Odds are we'd end up just signing up to a 'European Economic Area' type deal similar to what Norway has, so we'd still be obligated to follow EU regulations and have free movement of labour (which I don't think is a bad thing, we'll certainly need it to pay for our current welfare state over the coming decades). If we do enter into that kind of a deal with the EU, UKIP might hang around, as they'll probably want us out of that, too. If we don't and we properly go it alone then I'd get very worried, Scotland would very likely vote to leave (and they might under an EEA deal anyway).

ReputationRep:
    They would negotiate a trade deal, we would control eu migration like we do none eu migration, pay a bit less to the eu budget, be able to blame our government for anything in future as the eu wouldn't be responsible anymore and life would go on

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    They would negotiate a trade deal,
    A far inferior trade deal without the Single Market.

we would control eu migration like we do none eu migration,
    Optimistic of you, as I can see the newspapers carrying on their favourite dead-horse-flogging and still arguing the immigration is too high come what may.

pay a bit less to the eu budget,
    Only a bit?

be able to blame our government for anything in future as the eu wouldn't be responsible anymore and life would go on
    Unless we join the EEA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    why would it be inferior? I think it would be stronger than the EU seeing as the UK is actually necessary whereas countries like, say, estonia and poland, aren't to countries like india

Optimistic of you, as I can see the newspapers carrying on their favourite dead-horse-flogging and still arguing the immigration is too high come what may.
    when *is* immigration too high then? tell me

Only a bit?
    that's even assuming that we still pay *anything* into it if we're completely out of it

Unless we join the EEA.
    ...?

ReputationRep:

Only a bit?

Unless we join the EEA.
    Yes only a bit I still think we will pay a 3-6 billion a year in afterwards for a free trade deal.

It would be the right of newspapers (reflecting public views) to moan about the levels being too high the difference to now is the government of the day would be solely to blame.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes only a bit I still think we will pay a 3-6 billion a year in afterwards for a free trade deal.

It would be the right of newspapers (reflecting public views) to moan about the levels being too high the difference to now is the government of the day would be solely to blame.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Given that we have an enormous trade deficit with the rest of the EU, shouldn't the EU be paying for access to our market?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FarageCollage)
    why would it be inferior? I think it would be stronger than the EU seeing as the UK is actually necessary whereas countries like, say, estonia and poland, aren't to countries like india
    To enjoy the benefits of the Single Market you must be subject to its rules. So, for example, if you want to prevent Germany seeking to erect non-tariff barriers against British electronics, you need them subject to Single Market law. As this referendum is about the question of whether we want to remain subject to that law, a vote to Leave means we don't want to.

We can still trade with the EU, but we would be a lot less competitive, as we would not be protected by Single Market law from anticompetitive trading practices by EU Member States.

How long's a piece of string.

that's even assuming that we still pay *anything* into it if we're completely out of it
    Quite.

...?
    You know what the EEA is, right?

ReputationRep:
    Which will still be inferior to access to the Single Market.

Not at all. There are non-EU states who still sign up to free movement rules or Schengen, and there are EU states that have special exceptions. The UK is one of those. We already have control over our own borders, and people still get frothed-at-the-mouth about it.

ReputationRep:
    To enjoy the benefits of the Single Market you must be subject to its rules. So, for example, if you want to prevent Germany seeking to erect non-tariff barriers against British electronics, you need them subject to Single Market law. As this referendum is about the question of whether we want to remain subject to that law, a vote to Leave means we don't want to.

We can still trade with the EU, but we would be a lot less competitive, as we would not be protected by Single Market law from anticompetitive trading practices by EU Member States.
    and how does that have anything to do with what I said?

How long's a piece of string.
    you're comparing an objectively limited country size to an unspecified length of a piece of string?

Quite.
    ...so we might not pay anything by leaving

You know what the EEA is, right?
    yes - I didn't know why you brought it up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oblivion99)
    No more EU immigration?
    The EU immigration and UK-EU emigration would remain pretty much the same, the difference would be the rights British people possess abroad and EU nationals coming into the UK. See below.

They would negotiate a trade deal, we would control eu migration like we do none eu migration, pay a bit less to the eu budget, be able to blame our government for anything in future as the eu wouldn't be responsible anymore and life would go on

Posted from TSR Mobile

...?
    In order to remain a reliable trade partner and for British business to function in the EU and for EU business to carry out business in the UK as they hitherto have been doing you need EEA, which means that UK would be in the same/similar situation to Norway and Switzerland. In consequence, the immigration and emigration would remain at the same level. The difference would be much limited political/legal integration. You either have that or you'll have the resurgence of mercantilism which would be counter-productive to the British and rest of EU businesses alike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tamora)
    Given that we have an enormous trade deficit with the rest of the EU, shouldn't the EU be paying for access to our market?
    Only if you're completely unrealistic we will get what we want if we vote out but there will be a punishment and that will be contributing to the eu budget. We will still save money but not the amounts the unrealistic think we will

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    and how does that have anything to do with what I said?
    You gave me the impression that you didn't understand the difference between the Single Market and an ordinary, vanilla, free trade agreement.

you're comparing an objectively limited country size to an unspecified length of a piece of string?
    Yep. People have been fretting about the country being 'full' for well over a century, and it's generally unfounded. There are smaller countries with larger populations that manage fine, and larger countries with smaller populations which still claim they're 'full'.

More important than being 'full' is that we are getting old. We need young and able workers to keep us competitive, and that means bringing it young immigrants. Otherwise we face a Japan scenario.

...so we might not pay anything by leaving
    Yes, but it depends on what we secure with the EU after. If we pay nothing but get diminished control over EU trading standards, I consider that a hazardous trade.

yes - I didn't know why you brought it up
    Paul15 said "be able to blame our government for anything in future as the eu wouldn't be responsible anymore and life would go on", and I am pointing out that, if we joined the EEA, such a claim would be untrue.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh no one really knows and it could go either way. Those saying it will definitely get better or worse are being rather stupid as it is very uncertain.

Life would go on

ReputationRep:
    I doubt we'll leave but I'm voting out.

ReputationRep:
    Would the currency not change?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.