Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so, im in year 11 and i have my exams next month. I currently do triple science at school but I want to drop it and just do double science because it is too much work and I just don get it. But I dont think my teacher will let me.

So, if I still had to do triple science, how much would it effect my grade if I didn't revise the extension part, i just revised the core and additional?

ReputationRep:
    Each triple exam is worth 25% of your overall grade.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 10 and I do triple science is well. I don't think your allowed to drop it because you will have to do something else instead like history or geography and you have missed a whole year of that so I think you should just revise for it a couple of months before and then revise for your other subjects. If you just revise for the core science your mark won't be great because you will be missing b5,b6,c5,c6,p5,p6. So you will probably get a low mark. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I do IGCSE triple science, and if you only revise the double section it will not benefit your or be good whatsoever.
    Triple Science is for those who have deeper knowledge of the subject and can apply this in the test and almost 'show off'
    seeing as there are 3 papers for triple in each science rather than double just have one, it shows how much more you need to know and be prepared for

ReputationRep:
    A
    (Original post by jarjarbinkss)
    Ok so, im in year 11 and i have my exams next month. I currently do triple science at school but I want to drop it and just do double science because it is too much work and I just don get it. But I dont think my teacher will let me.

So, if I still had to do triple science, how much would it effect my grade if I didn't revise the extension part, i just revised the core and additional?
    At my school,the core and additional people have already done 2 exams so you might not be able to. Also, we aren't allowed to drop out as we've learnt all the topics pretty much so would be a waste of time. It's worth asking your teacher as you might get better grades doing fewer topics. Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Chances are you've already been submitted to sit the triple exams so to change that your school would have to contact someone externally, I'm not sure who though.
    What I'm trying to say is it's unlikely that they'd go to that effort just so you don't have to sit those extra exams. Instead of struggling by yourself why don't you ask your teachers for extra help? I'm sure they'd give it to you if it helped you to get good grades in your exams

ReputationRep:
    ah right thanks, but say if i didnt revise for extention at all, how much would this make my overall grade suffer? given that it is worth 25% of my overall grade

ReputationRep:

it depends if the gcses are as subjects (biology,chemistry, physics) or as the different units (one gcse for b1,c1 and p1, one for b2, c2, p2 and one for b3, c3, p3). if it is done as unitsit doesn't really matter but if it is as the subjects the tests will make 25% of your grade

ReputationRep:
    ah right thanks, but say if i didnt revise for extention at all, how much would this make my overall grade suffer? given that it is worth 25% of my overall grade
    Assuming you got 0 on B/C/P 5 and 6 modules, you'd only be able to access 75% of the marks, meaning if you got 100% in the other exams, you'd still be on a mid-B.

The extra two modules aren't too much extra work and I found them interesting. At least do some revision for them so you can do yourself justice, otherwise the revision for the 1-4 modules is just a waste.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I don't know exactly how much but I know that it's not worth it. You're much better off revising the content and getting the best grade you possibly can - that's the only thing that makes sense to me. But if you are struggling definitely see someone about it.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    @ the person saying they can do history/geography instead - exams are next month its way to close to learn the whole geography/history spec

Speak to your teacher, I'm sure you could drop out of triple but it would mean all you've learnt has been a waste of your time & in most cases they have to redo the controlled assessment because triple students tend to do a triple science experiment (two girls in my class dropped down to double after mocks in November and had to redo their controlled assessment) and I'm pretty sure it's near the cut off of controlled assessment in which teachers have to send them off - if your school has sent them off you might be too late to drop out, plus teachers have already entered pupils into their exams and tiers -but there's always hope in asking

ReputationRep:
    thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.