Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is being white a privelage in today's society? watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but not nearly as much as it was in the 20th century.

ReputationRep:
    Only if you can spell

ReputationRep:
    i think in America maybe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jarjarbinkss)
    i think in America maybe
    You want to say explicit and implicit racism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Only if you can spell
    You need a specsavers appointment booked ASAP . .. 👍🏽❗️‼️‼️

ReputationRep:
    No. And I'm not even white.

(Original post by JohnGreek)
    Only if you can spell
    :troll:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    No. And I'm not even white.
    Are you black? Have you ever in the slightest experienced racism?

Privilege*.
    To some extent I do. For example, medical institutions don't really privilege you in color because well it doesn't matter, but if you look at school's, you will get teacher's who favor a lot of people, and partly race does play a part.. me thinks.

ReputationRep:
    Not in the UK. White people from economically disadvantaged backgrounds are the least privileged in British society.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, crudely. I don't think out and out racism is as bad as it has been, but ethnic minorities are certainly underrepresented in the upper echelons of society and I can't help but think that is due to different groups inheriting different sets of expectations about their lives/careers, who or what exactly imposes those isn't that easy to pin down, and of course it doesn't apply in every case. For me equal legal and effective opportunities is not enough if there are factors out of your control (race, class etc) predetermining your ability to get into the position to take those opportunities in the first place, I think changing this is the new socially progressive cause, insisting upon equal rules and nothing more is arguing for the status quo.

ReputationRep:
    It is not anymore, there are a lot of things that blacks can get that we cannot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgecake22)
    Are you black? Have you ever in the slightest experienced racism?
    I have never experienced racism in this country in my whole life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nameless Ghoul)
    Not in the UK. White people from economically disadvantaged backgrounds are the least privileged in British society.
    You mean the underclasses" or the infamous chav" stereotypes. They tend to lack an education &I mostly be openly racist than educated people who know how to be indirectly racist. For instance institional racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    I have never experienced racism in this country in my whole life.
    Depends where you live and what type of school you went I suppose

ReputationRep:
    No I think it's all about what class you come from

ReputationRep:
    You need a specsavers appointment booked ASAP . .. 👍🏽❗️‼️‼️
    and you need to pick up a copy of the Oxford English Dictionary

Yes, I'd say that it does exist, but as much due to self-imposed low expectations and restrictions imposed upon certain groups as much as due to overt racism. That's of course not to mention the inevitable 'boy's clubs' that form around predominantly white, upper middle class males.

ReputationRep:
    You mean the underclasses" or the infamous chav" stereotypes. They tend to lack an education &I mostly be openly racist than educated people who know how to be indirectly racist. For instance institional racism.
    Because people are racist they cannot be underprivileged? What you're saying is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    It is not anymore, there are a lot of things that blacks can get that we cannot
    Like what?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.