Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi, i have been at Uni for nearly two years now and i want to leave. I have never really enjoyed it as i have struggled to make friends, adapt to uni life, hate the constant hours of bus travel, balance it with work and most importantly i don't really like the course and i feel like i no longer need it.

    I was originally going to leave after the first year but i was convinced to try the second year and see if it gets any better, but in all honestly it hasn't. So i am leaving after the end of the year (3 weeks yay).

    What i wondering is, how do i go about leaving? Who do i contact about it at the uni? And how do i sort out student finance?

    Thanks in advance
    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    You should contact your tutor to discuss with them and then the department.
    Imo I would pass the exams for the year so you get the credits for just in case you ever want to return.

    You will also need to contact admissions or whoever does the admin at your Uni for students who wnat to leave. It will be common, so there will be a section for it.
    They can tell you everything you need to know.

    Contact SFE, They may request some money back.

    Finally a list of other things to wrap up like your residence- you might have to pay the rest of the year. Utilities etc.

    Bear in mind that there will be consequences to leaving this far through your course. The main one is that you won't have enough Student Finance entitlement to do a new degree from scratch in the future. You will have to fund the first year of any future degree by yourself, with Student Finance only kicking in for the remainder of the course after that.

    If you leave before the end of the second year, you will have to repay some of your Student Finance loans immediately, even if you've aleady spent it on things like rent. Plus you need to check your rental contract, as most will legally oblige you to pay rent for the duration of the contract - even when you no longer live there, And if you decide to stay in the house after you leave uni, there will be Council Tax to pay on top of rent.

    It's probably best from a purely financial point of view, if you can hang in until the end of your second year, and inform the uni that you're leaving as close to the start of your third year as possible. That way, the immediate SF repayment will be minimal.

    Be aware that walking away with an interim qualificaion - if your uni offers them - may impact your future SF entitlemet further. If you pass your second year and your uni offers you a DipHE, then in future you would have to self-fund the first *two* years of a new degree due to the ELQ (Equivalent or Lower Qualification) rules.

    • Thread Starter

    Thanks for the responses.

    I live at home so my fees are just the ones i paid for the course. I plan on seeing out the 2nd year then leaving and getting a job.
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.