The Student Room Group

Edexcel text books.

How long would it take to complete every question in, let's say the C1 or C2 text book?

I know this is obviously massively variable from person to person, but if anyone has done it in the past - how long, roughly, did it take you?

Is it worth it?
Reply 1
Original post by Kozmo
How long would it take to complete every question in, let's say the C1 or C2 text book?

I know this is obviously massively variable from person to person, but if anyone has done it in the past - how long, roughly, did it take you?

Far too long and useless.

Is it worth it?

Definitely not. Do a few questions from each exercise, avoid doing all the ones which are the same thing with different numbers, do more of the ones where you aren't so confident, do less of the ones that you find easy. That'll be far more useful to you.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
Far too long and useless.

Definitely not. Do a few questions from each exercise, avoid doing all the ones which are the same thing with different numbers, do more of the ones where you aren't so confident, do less of the ones that you find easy. That'll be far more useful to you.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the input.

Wish I could rep you more, honestly! :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by Kozmo
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the input.

Wish I could rep you more, honestly! :tongue:

No worries, good luck for your exams!
Original post by Kozmo

Is it worth it?

I think that I have to give a different view to Zacken. He seems to be super quick and I am not at all.

I used the AQA books for C1-C4 and did every question in the books (can't tell you how long it took, sorry) but I did find it helpful even if question 2 was similar to question 1, say. I found that if I struggled over a question and had to look it up or ask TSR (self teaching as I was), I had to do the next one to see if I had got it. Sometimes, what I thought I had previously understood showed that I hadn't in subsequent questions. Also, I found, that as questions moved on there were subtle changes that made me re-think what I thought I knew. I found the process challenging, time consuming but very useful

So, there you go, an answer from a slow learner.
Reply 5
Original post by maggiehodgson
I think that I have to give a different view to Zacken. He seems to be super quick and I am not at all.

I used the AQA books for C1-C4 and did every question in the books (can't tell you how long it took, sorry) but I did find it helpful even if question 2 was similar to question 1, say. I found that if I struggled over a question and had to look it up or ask TSR (self teaching as I was), I had to do the next one to see if I had got it. Sometimes, what I thought I had previously understood showed that I hadn't in subsequent questions. Also, I found, that as questions moved on there were subtle changes that made me re-think what I thought I knew. I found the process challenging, time consuming but very useful

So, there you go, an answer from a slow learner.

Thank you for input from another perspective.
I think I'll work through the text books, completing a few questions from topics I feel confident with and providing I get them right I'll move on.
I'll then spend more time on the chapters I find most difficult and work through the questions, until, similar to what you said, I'm getting them all correct and I'm confident with them. :smile:
Original post by Kozmo
Thank you for input from another perspective.
I think I'll work through the text books, completing a few questions from topics I feel confident with and providing I get them right I'll move on.
I'll then spend more time on the chapters I find most difficult and work through the questions, until, similar to what you said, I'm getting them all correct and I'm confident with them. :smile:

As long as you have a plan that you are happy about and feel confident will work for you then go with it. It's that bit about making your mind up how to approach your studies that is the first hurdle isn't it. Once you've jumped that you're on your way.

Best of luck. The edexcel book (the newer ones anyway) have worked solutions on a CD and that is a massive help.

Quick Reply

Latest