Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so i've been thinking, a lot of the chemistry AS practicals (and biology too) involve measuring liquids and the teacher always says to read from the bottom of the meniscus. because the meniscus is curved wouldn't that mean you aren't counting for a very tiny (smaller the measurement the more important this is) amount of the liquid? doesn't that mean that yield calculations are always slightly incorrect and if all this is true, do scientists ever care about this e.g. using some formula to find the volume of the meniscus to add on to the measured volume. Sorry if this made little sense i'm not the best at writing in the world unless it's in an exam

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was about knees

ReputationRep:
    Wait is there something to do with the knees called meniscus?! E.g. section of the knees. If so that sounds interesting

ReputationRep:
    Measuring equipment is calibrated to include that small volume of liquid.

If the meniscus is lined up at the bottom, the volume is what is says on the tin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Measuring equipment is calibrated to include that small volume of liquid.

If the meniscus is lined up at the bottom, the volume is what is says on the tin.
    oh.. never knew that, thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.