Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The media has turned on Cameron: even the right wing Watch

ReputationRep:
    Some pretty damaging headlines in today's papers:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-36008288

Note where these attacks are coming from: The Sunday Telegraph, The Sunday TImes, The Mail on Sunday.

Cameron is getting attacked for his Mum giving him a gift of £200k so that as long as she lives 7 years he doesn't have to pay inheritance tax on it.

Lets be honest about this - if you were to get the editorial teams or the ownership of The Sunday Telegraph, The Sunday Times and The Mail on Sunday in a room and said, is it wrong for someone from an upper-middle class family to give a gift of £200k well in advance of their likely death so that their children avoid paying inheritance on it, they would all say it was totally fine. Their readership will include a lot of people from the same kind of upper-middle class background as Cameron and will do this kind of thing.

However they are now gunning for him over something which is relatively trivial. This is usually the treatment reserved for Corbyn or Ed Miliband.

This is a very significant development.

These papers are still Tory papers and will always support the Tories - what has happened is their ownership and editorial teams have made a calculated decision to attack Cameron at a time he has the EU referendum to fight. This is probably connected with the fact Cameron wants to remain in the EU and they don't, so they are trying to take him down. And they obviously want another leader of the Conservative party.

This is likely to run and run now until Cameron stands down. I bet last year after winning the election and seeing Corbyn elected as Labour leader, that Cameron never in a million years thought he would lose his position before Corbyn but put your bets on that outcome now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's interesting. The media does love to sensationalise stuff. But you are right in that they are now treating Cameron like they would normally treat Miliband or Corbyn.

The point you make about the EU Referendum is probably true.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Certainly true and interesting to watch. I'm still placing my bets on him not going though since we won't leave the EU and i don't think this attack has been strong enough to damage him permanently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Certainly true and interesting to watch. I'm still placing my bets on him not going though since we won't leave the EU and i don't think this attack has been strong enough to damage him permanently.
    Why don't you think the uk will vote out? Status quo or/and shy pro eu people?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Why don't you think the uk will vote out? Status quo or/and shy pro eu people?
    Most people don't know or don't care and they'll vote no to change.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite interesting to see the propagandists (or 'media toadies', as Peter Hitchens likes to put it) who won David Cameron and the Conservatives the election now turning their fire onto him. He's getting a taste of his own medicine, but that doesn't make it right, especially as other more important facts about the Panama Papers are being muffled as a result.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.