Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing some differential equations, but I'm having a bit of trouble with some if the integration involved

How do you integrate these?:

1/(square root of) 1+ 2y
    1/-2(square root of)y

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmJ15)
    I've been doing some differential equations, but I'm having a bit of trouble with some if the integration involved

How do you integrate these?:

1/(square root of) 1+ 2y
    1/-2(square root of)y

Thank you!
    Indices rule:

The first one is \displaystyle \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + 2y}}\ , \mathrm{d}y= \int \frac{1}{(1 + 2y)^{1/2}} \, \mathrm{d}y=\int (1 + 2y)^{-1/2} \, \mathrm{d}y now use the 'reverse chain rule' on that.

The second one is \displaystyle \int -\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}} \, \mathrm{d}y = -\frac{1}{2} \int y^{-1/2} \, \mathrm{d}y then do your usual add one to the power and divide by the new power.

ReputationRep:
    Well, since square roots are involved, I imagine you'd be looking at using a substitution along the lines of u = 1+ 2y! Try that and see if it gets you anywhere

EDIT: Okay Zacken is here never mind he's right haha

ReputationRep:
    The first one can be done by inspection- note that  \dfrac{d}{dy}(1+2y)^{ \frac{1}{2}} = 0.5 \times 2(1+2y)^{-0.5} which is the required integral

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Indices rule:

The first one is \displaystyle \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + 2y}}\ , \mathrm{d}y= \int \frac{1}{(1 + 2y)^{1/2}} \, \mathrm{d}y=\int (1 + 2y)^{-1/2} \, \mathrm{d}y now use the 'reverse chain rule' on that.

The second one is \displaystyle \int -\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}} \, \mathrm{d}y = -\frac{1}{2} \int y^{-1/2} \, \mathrm{d}y then do your usual add one to the power and divide by the new power.
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    Well, since square roots are involved, I imagine you'd be looking at using a substitution along the lines of u = 1+ 2y! Try that and see if it gets you anywhere

ffs I literally cant type fast enough XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Indices rule:

Thank so much, that has helped loads. Could I just ask you 1 question though, what is reverse chain rule and is there a particular scenario when you use it? Sorry, it's just that I don't think we've covered it in school. It's not in the book we use anyway. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)

Haha, thanks anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmJ15)
    Thank so much, that has helped loads. Could I just ask you 1 question though, what is reverse chain rule and is there a particular scenario when you use it? Sorry, it's just that I don't think we've covered it in school. It's not in the book we use anyway. Thank you!
    It's basically this:
    \displaystyle

\begin{equation*} \int (ax+b)^n \, \mathrm{d}x = \frac{(ax+b)^{n+1}}{a(n+1)} + \mathcal{C} \end{equation*}

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.