The Student Room Group

Is UCL the most overrated university?

Scroll to see replies

Nah you'll be glad to know that that title proudly goes to Warwick :crown:
Original post by Snufkin
I didn't say it’s the only measure; it is one of several indicators. Imperial didn't beat UCL for Chemistry, by the way.

Entry requirements are only an indicator of course popularity, not quality. I don't think they are relevant to this discussion. But for arguments sake, let's remember that UCL offers quite a lot of niche degrees (Old Norse, Serbian, Urban Studies etc) which don't attract nearly as many applicants therefore the entry requirements are understandably lower. That does not mean the people who do these degrees are less intelligent or achieve lower A level results than Imperial or LSE students.

Where is your evidence that UCL's position in those tables is "heavily boosted by medical and biological studies"? THE shows that UCL is 5th in the world for the humanities (2nd in UK). Surely that counts for something?

It does if that's what you want to study. :smile:

Evidence?

Indeed but this discussion is about overall merit
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Their website and my impressions from open days there.

Their website does not say "we are meh at science, lack funding and our physics degree is easy". Your open day impressions are, frankly, irrelevant.
I would say KCL is overrated. I go there and tbh, the standard of students isn't particularly high and things like teaching quality are terrible, we are just high in the rankings because of good quality research. From what my friends at UCL say it's pretty similar, but not as bad.

I would also say Warwick is overrated, although I'm only basing this on the people at my school who went there, because they werent that clever and didnt get great results but still got in.
Original post by Snufkin
Their website does not say "we are meh at science, lack funding and our physics degree is easy". Your open day impressions are, frankly, irrelevant.
Well done for noticing it doesn't say that on its website, well done indeed. The website probably says somewhere how great they are though, I wonder if that's also something you consider to be evidence?

Not that I expect you to understand but besides the fact the entry reqs are AAA, the course structure (which you'd have looked up if you had some common sense instead of making some stupid remark) for physics simply is watered down which is apparent from looking on the website and to me even more so when comparing it to where I study. I honestly don't care what you think is irrelevant, my impressions are were line with those of the majority of people I know who go there and the relatively poor student satisfaction of teaching quality.

The sciences there are underfunded and that's been said on this site multiple times, you can choose to accept that or not, I honestly don't care.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin

Entry requirements are only an indicator of course popularity, not quality.

But for arguments sake, let's remember that UCL offers quite a lot of niche degrees (Old Norse, Serbian, Urban Studies etc) which don't attract nearly as many applicants therefore the entry requirements are understandably lower. That does not mean the people who do these degrees are less intelligent or achieve lower A level results than Imperial or LSE students.

First of all, the UCAS tariff I showed is not average entry requirement, but a result of how much university entrants actually achieved (2013-2014 entrants for 2016 rankings). So it's not what universities require, more like representing how much students achieved. The average UCAS tariff can be easily higher with lower entry requirements, or other way around sometimes.

Second, this is actually the main indicator of how people perceive students of some university. Just like you don't pay any attention about how smart students studying Physics at University of Manchester are, or how research standards in physics are superior at Manchester compared to UCL. Because you see University of Manchester as a whole university, and felt not outstanding at all.

Thirdly, UCL offers quite a lot of niche degrees. And Manchester offers even more niche degrees like Nursing, Music, Aural & Oral Sciences, and a lot more. So from your point, and ignoring academic merit (like you said), Manchester seems to be the top of the UK, because all other universities don't work hard enough to provide degrees in all subjects. Is this what you want to say?

Original post by Snufkin

Where is your evidence that UCL's position in those tables is "heavily boosted by medical and biological studies"?

Check sub rankings here.

In addition to this, Just in case if you don't know how medical fields can distinctively affect the total research outputs, I'd like to mention that the size of research projects at medical fields is much larger than other fields. For example this research is written by 100+ researchers and postgraduate students at UCL, Glasgow and some others. This paper is cited 102 times according to google scholar, so the paper earned 10200 or more citation scores. Whereas this work is written by Angus Deaton alone, who got Nobel prize last year, cited 2321 times according to google scholar. So citation index evaluates the work with 100+ people is 5 times more significant than Nobel prize work, and somehow punishing smaller projects.

Like you said about entrance requirement, there are also subject matters in research. UCL's 8th best medical research standard doesn't mean UCL's engineering departments have 8th best research standards (in fact only 76-100th). But because there is rarely a research project with 100 people in Engineering fields, Imperial's ranked as 23rd, though their engineering fields are rated as 6th best (higher than any subject at UCL) in the world.

Original post by Snufkin

THE shows that UCL is 5th in the world for the humanities (2nd in UK). Surely that counts for something?

I was talking about ARWU above (Check the link I provided), but not THE.

In addition to say, THE has reputation bias(34%) and other irrelevant indicators not linking directly research issues, whereas ARWU is purely assessed by research outputs, (Although they don't assess Humanity fields). That's why I mentioned here to discuss about research quality to avoid critiques about reputation flaw.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AJ KO
But that's because most of LSE's courses aren't arts courses. So not all of those 12k will feasibly consider a career in IB. Also, more students from Oxbridge probably enter academia (I have no source for this).

Also, there's the perception of LSE that it's just a conveyor belt for producing students that go to the city, which could lead to a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy.

It depends how you define arts/humanities degrees. Some people would include Economics and other social sciences.
Reply 47
Original post by anonwinner
It depends how you define arts/humanities degrees. Some people would include Economics and other social sciences.

Oops, yes, you are correct. However, I was trying to draw distinction between courses that naturally lead into IB and those that don't (Maths/Econ etc in the former, history etc in the latter) - and arguing that LSE focuses on the former thus will naturally have a much higher % of its students going into IB.

NB. Notwithstanding that no specific degree is necessary to go into IB.
Original post by Indeterminate
Not really.

I mean it's 13th in the rankings now and I think that's perfectly fair :tongue:

I agree that's fair but QS is wayy to generous

(7th above Imperial, Chicago, Princeton, Yale, Cornell, UPenn, Columbia, Berkeley etc.)
Original post by humanteaparty
My cousin told me that UCL was the most overrated uni in the Uk. Do you agree with that?

I study at UCL and it is definitely overrated. Very pretentious university with inflated reputation. Only a person who studies at UCL would fully understand.
Original post by Rhythmical
@Hodor_van_Groot what do you think? :tongue:

It doesn't matter what I think. What matters is @TeeEm's opinion. :rofl:

But I have to admit, UCL deserves its status, mainly because THE Hodor van Groot studies there. :smug:
Original post by Snufkin
No, UCL is actually underrated - many of its departments are world leading and yet people always say LSE and Imperial are better. :rolleyes:

But they are. Especially Imperial which blows it away. If you takenaway the prestige and bragging rights from Oxbridge, the gap between those unis and Imperial isn't even significant.

And while on the topic, UCLs engineering is genuinely mediocre.

It's not the most overrated uni in the UK though. That title belongs to Exeter or Queen Marys. But it's still overrated. Funnily enough, it's the people that attend UCL who critisize it the most. The only ones who rush to defend it when threads like this come up are usually aspiring students who want to study there one day
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by anonwinner
This is what always makes me think how underrated LSE is (even though it is still highly rated). LSE only has about 4,000 undergrad students, Oxford has 11k, Cambridge 12k, and UCL 17k. Yet LSE still tops the lists for most undergrad students going into investment banking etc.

Undergrad population size =/= people interested in applying to investment banking/law/consulting/*insert top career here*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a noble chance
Equally one can cite UCL's position as the 4th best university in the world as evidence of being way above Imperial

Imperial has the enormous disadvantage of not being a multi disciplinary university

SOAS may be the leading UK university for Chinese Tea Studies but that does not make it superior to Oxford

UCL's 4th best university in the world...on the QS rankings. Imperial was 2nd in the world apparently in the QS rankings about a year or two ago. I believe neither.

Disadvantage in what way? I don't see MIT (yes, I know Imperial definitely isn't as good as MIT) being heavily disadvantaged compared to Harvard.
Being great at STEM doesn't equal being great at only one degree...

Original post by Lawliettt
But they are. Especially Imperial which blows it away. If you takenaway the prestige and bragging rights from Oxbridge, the gap between those unis and Imperial isn't even significant.

It's not the most overrated uni in the UK though. That title belongs to Exeter or Queen Marys. But it's still overrated. Funnily enough, it's the people that attend UCL who critisize it the most. The only ones who rush to defend it when threads like this come up are usually aspiring students who want to study there one day

Exeter is definitely overrated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hodor_van_Groot
It doesn't matter what I think. What matters is @TeeEm's opinion. :rofl:

But I have to admit, UCL deserves its status, mainly because THE Hodor van Groot studies there. :smug:

But your not there yet, just wait a few more months. You might end up going to the enemy, KCL.
I doubt it's overrated at all.
Original post by Princepieman
Undergrad population size =/= people interested in applying to investment banking/law/consulting/*insert top career here*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beat me to it :scrooge:
Ucl seems to me to be quite hostile to national students and very open and friendly to foreign students. It's one of those institutions which benefits the above average foreign student more than the national student. Needs to be clamped down on a bit imo. I don't get how you can get some East Asian students who barely speak English on heavily essay based courses
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Well done for noticing it doesn't say that on its website, well done indeed. The website probably says somewhere how great they are though, I wonder if that's also something you consider to be evidence?

Not that I expect you to understand but besides the fact the entry reqs are AAA, the course structure (which you'd have looked up if you had some common sense instead of making some stupid remark) for physics simply is watered down which is apparent from looking on the website and to me even more so when comparing it to where I study. I honestly don't care what you think is irrelevant, my impressions are were line with those of the majority of people I know who go there and the relatively poor student satisfaction of teaching quality.

The sciences there are underfunded and that's been said on this site multiple times, you can choose to accept that or not, I honestly don't care.

I have already explained why entry requirements are not relevant. I did look at the physics course/modules - as far as I can tell, it isn't watered down - what modules is the degree lacking? Your impressions are based on hearsay and a visit to the open day, hardly enough experience to form a judgment about the place. Prove that UCL is underfunded.

Original post by RussellG
First of all, the UCAS tariff I showed is not average entry requirement, but a result of how much university entrants actually achieved (2013-2014 entrants for 2016 rankings). So it's not what universities require, more like representing how much students achieved. The average UCAS tariff can be easily higher with lower entry requirements, or other way around sometimes.

I still maintain that the overall figures are skewed by the above average number of niche degrees UCL offers. UCL also has a higher proportion of mature and part-time students, these students may not have completed qualifications which awards UCAS points (e.g the Access to HE course).

Second, this is actually the main indicator of how people perceive students of some university. Just like you don't pay any attention about how smart students studying Physics at University of Manchester are, or how research standards in physics are superior at Manchester compared to UCL. Because you see University of Manchester as a whole university, and felt not outstanding at all.

I don't agree that most people view entry requirements as a quality indicator. Sixth Formers and TSR users perhaps, but who cares what they think? It is a mistaken viewpoint and it shouldn't be relevant in this debate.

Don't put words in my mouth, I know Manchester has a very good reputation for physics. I don't see Manchester (or any other university) as just a single unit, but a collection of departments. That is precisely why I think it's unfair to say Imperial is better than UCL, because for a very large number of subjects, it isn't.

Thirdly, UCL offers quite a lot of niche degrees. And Manchester offers even more niche degrees like Nursing, Music, Aural & Oral Sciences, and a lot more. So from your point, and ignoring academic merit (like you said), Manchester seems to be the top of the UK, because all other universities don't work hard enough to provide degrees in all subjects. Is this what you want to say?

Nursing and Music are not niche subjects. I don't understand what you mean re ignoring academic merit, I didn't say that. My point was that UCL offers more niche degrees than most universities, and certainly a lot more than LSE and Imperial - in consequence their entry requirements are lower.

Original post by Gnomes&Knights
I study at UCL and it is definitely overrated. Very pretentious university with inflated reputation. Only a person who studies at UCL would fully understand.

Yeah, the whole university must be bad because the chemical engineering dept isn't great.

Original post by Lawliettt

As far as I know, it is only chem engineering that lets UCL down. Their mech/civil/bio engineering courses are apparently very good.
Original post by Snufkin
I have already explained why entry requirements are not relevant. I did look at the physics course/modules - as far as I can tell, it isn't watered down - what modules is the degree lacking? Your impressions are based on hearsay and a visit to the open day, hardly enough experience to form a judgment about the place. Prove that UCL is underfunded.

I still maintain that the overall figures are skewed by the above average number of niche degrees UCL offers. UCL also has a higher proportion of mature and part-time students, these students may not have completed qualifications which awards UCAS points (e.g the Access to HE course).

I don't agree that most people view entry requirements as a quality indicator. Sixth Formers and TSR users perhaps, but who cares what they think? It is a mistaken viewpoint and it shouldn't be relevant in this debate.

Don't put words in my mouth, I know Manchester has a very good reputation for physics. I don't see Manchester (or any other university) as just a single unit, but a collection of departments. That is precisely why I think it's unfair to say Imperial is better than UCL, because for a very large number of subjects, it isn't.

Nursing and Music are not niche subjects. I don't understand what you mean re ignoring academic merit, I didn't say that. My point was that UCL offers more niche degrees than most universities, and certainly a lot more than LSE and Imperial - in consequence their entry requirements are lower.

Yeah, the whole university must be bad because the chemical engineering dept isn't great.

As far as I know, it is only chem engineering that lets UCL down. Their mech/civil/bio engineering courses are apparently very good.

You say Imperial isn't better for a very large no of courses - which are UCL better at? Medicine and Bio courses are of similar standard but surely you don't believe Engineering or Maths, for example, are better at UCL?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending