The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Mental health support - what's it actually like? :)

Hi,

I have an offer for York - my course starts Oct. 2016.

I am really excited about uni, but starting to get worried as I have had ongoing problems with mental health and I really want to be sure what support is available before I go.

I've read all the relevant information on the website - I understand there is a welfare team within each college, as well as a counselling service, an academic adviser, etc.

But I was wondering what people think from their own experiences? Who do you generally talk to when you need support? Which college has the best welfare team (are are they all pretty good/bad?) Is the support useful/friendly...do they mind helping?

Also, I saw on the disability services page that you can ask for a personal mentor - what exactly does this mean? Would it apply to me?

Thanks so much - sorry for all the questions :P
I'm in the same situation and would really like to know more about this as its a big thing for me too.
University of York
York
Just putting a message on here as I'd like to know more about this too! :smile:
Reply 3
Hello everyone, I'm a first year student studying at the university, although I haven't used the services personally I have heard a bit about them. The main way to get support is through the open door team, but there a bit understaffed so it take about 3 weeks to get an appointment. Nightline is also a big service, who u can call(8pm-8am) email anytime or visit them if u need to speak to someone immediately. You will be unlikely to get a mentor as these are really just for mental or physical disabilities rather than mental health. In terms of the college welfare team, you will usually have someone who represents your accommodation block who you can speak to freely and call. Mine is amazing but I can't speak for other accommodation blocks or colleges. You can also talk to your subject tutor who u will have occasionally meeting with to see how your getting on with everything, although there helpfulness seems to differ depending on the subject. The main piece of advice is if ur struggling please talk to someone and you will get help, universities far more independent and requires you to actively ask for help -don't wallow away in self pity wherever u guys end up going! Hope this is helpful! James
The Open Door Team provide professional one-to-one support for any student experiencing psychological or mental health difficulties. Currently students are seen within two weeks of contacting us.

If needs are more urgent we have Nightline and of course the college teams whom we work closely with. The University's Chaplaincy are also a valuable source of confidential support.

Mentoring is available for students with various challenges, including a diagnosed mental health condition. A Mentor can help you manage your academia by setting goals, prioritising tasks, encouraging effective communication and working with you on your study techniques. Many students find this really helps them feel more confident throughout their time at University.

For more information you can contact Disability Services direct using their initial contact form.

Student and Academic Services
University of York
Reply 5
Thanks everyone for the replies :smile:

Is the open door team quite a formal arrangement, or can you just drop in as and when you need to?

Who would I go to see for just a talk now and then, as opposed to counselling/professional help?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions!!
Reply 6
As I have no personal experience I can't comment on what the open door teams like. However for more casual conversation u can speak to nightline, your subject tutor or anyone in your college welfare team team.
Hello,

The Open Door Team is a self referral service which is by appointment only.

If you wish to speak to someone informally you can speak with your tutor, the college welfare team, the Chaplaincy service or Nightline.

Hope this helps?
University of York
Reply 8
Thanks!

Yes this does really help :smile:

I'm still interested to hear people's personal experiences with this - for example, is the college welfare team approachable/relaxed? The college I am at currently is great with that sort of thing (I can just see someone as and when I need provided they're not busy, especially if I need to leave class or anything).

Would you recommend letting my college at York know in advance about this, or will they expect lots of students to be in the same situation? Do they tend to have enough free time for this sort of thing throughout the week?

Again, sorry for all the questions!!
Original post by University of York
Hello,

The Open Door Team is a self referral service which is by appointment only.

If you wish to speak to someone informally you can speak with your tutor, the college welfare team, the Chaplaincy service or Nightline.

Hope this helps?
University of York

Hi!

I just wanted to know how you go about getting a mentor? I have a mental health condition (and disclosed this on UCAS), but I'm curious to know in advance, as I feel I'd really benefit from a mentor. :smile:

Thanks for all your help!
Hello,

If you contact the Disability Services team in advance of your arrival then they will try and find the best solution that works for you. They have lots of experience in this area.

You didn't need to worry about disclosing anything on your UCAS form or at any point before or after you get here. It would'nt have prejudiced your application in any way. If we know that you might need help or assistance we can then be prepared to offer support.

Mark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending