Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently working as a paralegal. I'm finding the job quite tough and not really enjoying it. I go home miserable and dread getting up on a Monday, constantly worrying that I'm going to do something wrong at work. I've been doing it for approx 9 months now.

I have a TC with the same firm due to start next year. I'm doing the LPC part time and the firm are paying for it. At the moment I'm completely miserable, I have exams coming up which I can't concentrate on and I'm really beginning to question whether or not Law is for me, given how miserable I feel.

If I leave my job, inevitably the TC will have to go with it. That will mean I need to re-pay the LPC fees to the firm- which I can't afford at the moment. I have a mortgage to pay so I would only leave if I had another job lined up.

I know most people would kill to be in my position at the moment, but when you dread going to work its not quite as simple.

Do I stick or twist?

ReputationRep:
    maybe it's the area of law you're in that you don't like? i had a similar situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trickyone)
    I'm currently working as a paralegal. I'm finding the job quite tough and not really enjoying it. I go home miserable and dread getting up on a Monday, constantly worrying that I'm going to do something wrong at work. I've been doing it for approx 9 months now.

I have a TC with the same firm due to start next year. I'm doing the LPC part time and the firm are paying for it. At the moment I'm completely miserable, I have exams coming up which I can't concentrate on and I'm really beginning to question whether or not Law is for me, given how miserable I feel.

If I leave my job, inevitably the TC will have to go with it. That will mean I need to re-pay the LPC fees to the firm- which I can't afford at the moment. I have a mortgage to pay so I would only leave if I had another job lined up.

I know most people would kill to be in my position at the moment, but when you dread going to work its not quite as simple.

Do I stick or twist?
    Do you make mistakes often? Are they due to lack of attention or lack of understanding?

If the latter, as a trainee people should try to give you background on what you're doing so you understand why you're doing what you're doing. I imagine paralegals get less of that, if any.

If the former, you need to ask whether it's just something you need to work on or whether it's because you don't fundamentally care about what you're doing.

For what it's worth, I think many people question their career choice early on in law. You need to ask the right questions of yourself at this stage to figure out whether the nagging doubts are transient or worth listening to.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I don't know your personal circumstances, but could the way you're feeling at work be down to an external cause (e.g. depression?).

There will be times whilst working as a Paralegal or TS where you doubt your own abilities (it's happened to me numerous times), however, when that happens you just need to spend a few more minutes than normal to proof read the document/form before handing it to whoever.

Another tip that I've found useful is holding back the particular document/form until the day after I've produced it. I will leave a little pile on my desk at the end of the day and then when I arrive at work the following morning I will read over things to make sure that they're correct. This means that you're proof reading your work when you're more alert and most likely to spot a mistake.

Good luck and keep soldiering away

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.