Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm a teenager, 16. I'm also gay, parents doesn't know as they're very religious and homophobic. I've realised I was gay when I was 13. Ever since 14, I've been pushing my parents away, never opening up to them for fear they will disown me, or even harm me.

My cousin was abused and kicked out by his parents because they found out he was gay and I've feared for my life since then. I know some of you will tell me I should talk with them and persuade them that being gay is not wrong, but I know, for a fact, I will be abused.

When I'm 18, I'm hoping to go to university abroad in the Netherlands or Germany where, I hope, I'll be free with my sexuality.

What I want to ask is, how do I not get emotional about this? I push them away because I'm preparing myself for my independence where hopefully I'll create my own family where there's unconditional love. But, once every few months, I cry myself to sleep because I feel they don't love me, or at least they only love me if I'm Christian and straight, and it makes me feel so cold, so alone, so worthless. I'm pushing them away so I'll feel better about it in the future, and I'm crying less and feel more independent, but occasionally I feel sad.

Will I ever get over them? Could someone help me get over my family?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a teenager, 16. I'm also gay, parents doesn't know as they're very religious and homophobic. I've realised I was gay when I was 13. Ever since 14, I've been pushing my parents away, never opening up to them for fear they will disown me, or even harm me.

My cousin was abused and kicked out by his parents because they found out he was gay and I've feared for my life since then. I know some of you will tell me I should talk with them and persuade them that being gay is not wrong, but I know, for a fact, I will be abused.

When I'm 18, I'm hoping to go to university abroad in the Netherlands or Germany where, I hope, I'll be free with my sexuality.

What I want to ask is, how do I not get emotional about this? I push them away because I'm preparing myself for my independence where hopefully I'll create my own family where there's unconditional love. But, once every few months, I cry myself to sleep because I feel they don't love me, or at least they only love me if I'm Christian and straight, and it makes me feel so cold, so alone, so worthless. I'm pushing them away so I'll feel better about it in the future, and I'm crying less and feel more independent, but occasionally I feel sad.

When you go abroad, you're not going to really worry about your family here because you will be independent and will have your own life.

Try not to let it get to you, study hard so you can get into your first choices. Also, perhaps spend more time out of the house.

ReputationRep:
    It's not their fault, they were probably brought up like that and so they don't know better, that's religion for you, it's like a virus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

You'll be free to spread your wings soon.

Also, you could PM me whenever you want (promise to keep your anonymity). Stay strong b :hugs:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.