Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can you please clarify the regulation, because I am confused?

I am planning on applying for a place on a 3 year full-time undergraduate(BSc Honours) degree at a UK university.

I have previously studied on a 3 year full-time undergraduate (BSc Honours) degree at another UK university for 2 years full-time and 2 years part-time, but did not receive a degree. I received a tuition fee loan for my first 2 years, but I did not apply for finance for my 2 part-time years.

I passed all modules in year 1, but I failed in year 2, so I was told to repeat it on a part-time basis in 2 years. I still failed, so I withdrew from my course. They gave me a Certificate of Higher Education as an exit award,because I passed the first year.

My question is how many years of tuition fee loan entitlement do I have for my new full-time 3 year university degree? Is it 3+1-2 = 2 years? Do my 2 years on part-time basis count? They were self-funded and they did not lead to another qualification. The Certificate of Higher Education was achieved for year 1.

Many thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Dreamed1)
    Can you please clarify the regulation, because I am confused?

I am planning on applying for a place on a 3 year full-time undergraduate(BSc Honours) degree at a UK university.

I have previously studied on a 3 year full-time undergraduate (BSc Honours) degree at another UK university for 2 years full-time and 2 years part-time, but did not receive a degree. I received a tuition fee loan for my first 2 years, but I did not apply for finance for my 2 part-time years.

I passed all modules in year 1, but I failed in year 2, so I was told to repeat it on a part-time basis in 2 years. I still failed, so I withdrew from my course. They gave me a Certificate of Higher Education as an exit award,because I passed the first year.

My question is how many years of tuition fee loan entitlement do I have for my new full-time 3 year university degree? Is it 3+1-2 = 2 years? Do my 2 years on part-time basis count? They were self-funded and they did not lead to another qualification. The Certificate of Higher Education was achieved for year 1.

Many thanks
    From the guidance:
    Usually you can only get student finance for your first higher-educationqualification.
    As a general rule, Tuition Fee Loans are available for the fulllength of your course, plus one extra year if needed, for example if:
    • you change your course, or
    • you leave your course but decide to start again.

The number of years for which you are eligible for funding iscalculated as:
    Length of current course + one additional year – years of previous study
    So you're eligible for 4 years - your 2 previously funded FT years. That means you'll have 2 years funded and so need to find the money to cover your tuition fee for your first year. If you speak to your universities they might have some financing options available that would make that payment more manageable.

If you look at the form it states:
    "Do not mention any course that you studied part-time where youdid not achieve a qualification; or any course that was entirely self-funded at a private institutionwhere you did not achieve a qualification."
    http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/ft/s...orm_1617_d.pdf page 14 - so your part time study shouldn't be declared and can't be counted against you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.