Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    heyyy everyone im an 18 yr old starting uni in september and i really want to start looking prettier before then lol
    I've bought some foundation, eyeshadow and lip gloss from sephora but i know that more is needed (obv) and i also suck at applying it lol (see profile pic )

does anyone have any advice? like how to make my skin look more even, and matte? and how to apply eye makeup? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martinique1998)
    heyyy everyone im an 18 yr old starting uni in september and i really want to start looking prettier before then lol
    I've bought some foundation, eyeshadow and lip gloss from sephora but i know that more is needed (obv) and i also suck at applying it lol (see profile pic )

does anyone have any advice? like how to make my skin look more even, and matte? and how to apply eye makeup? thanks
    Youtube videos are probably the best thing if you want to improve
    Just search makeup tutorial
    Nicki Perkins is pretty good and im pretty sure she recentlt posted a makeup routine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BekahMay)
    Youtube videos are probably the best thing if you want to improve
    Just search makeup tutorial
    Nicki Perkins is pretty good and im pretty sure she recentlt posted a makeup routine
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    First start with a primer, and then apply your foundation with your fingers or a brush in a dot pattern on your face so you know it's evenly spread. Then blend it in with a beauty blender. Then take your concealer this should be 2 shades lighter than your skin tone, apply it under your eyes and on your forehead. I wouldn't suggest contouring for a beginner. So just apply a translucent powder under your eyes to set your concealer. If you have oily skin you can also apply this on your oily patches. Then apply the blush lightly. If you haven't done your eyebrows before watch a tutorial but if you're not into that then you could just brush them over with clear gel. Then apply a light eyeshadow to your lids and under your brown bone. Apply a darker one in your crease. If your into eyeliner watch a tutorial and try a pencil first as this is the easiest, you can always go over it with gel of you are confident. Apply your mascara Then use a lip liner then lip lip stick. Look at carli bybels everyday makeup and this is a really good video. Hope this helped. Happy to help with anything else. (:

ReputationRep:
    You want to get a good base primer first. To get a matte look with your foundation, you could ever by a setting powder or buy a matte setting spray. I use a matte setting spray from NYX and it's quite good for my foundation which gives a dewy look sometimes. Like someone already suggested, going on YT is a great idea. So many beauty gurus on there nowadays to help. I personally would advise you to start off with things slowly. You mentioned how many things you've bought already, and since you're a beginner it's best to master one thing first, and give yourself time to get used to seeing yourself in makeup, e.g just start off by wearing foundation, then move onto wearing a bit of lipgloss, then eyeshadow etc.

ReputationRep:
    1) take paintbrush
    2) dip in paint
    3) paint face

#flawless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    1) take paintbrush
    2) dip in paint
    3) paint face

#flawless
    lol
    #iwokeuplikedis

but really, if you have no helpful tips then go away lmaooooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily190100)
    First start with a primer, and then apply your foundation with your fingers or a brush in a dot pattern on your face so you know it's evenly spread. Then blend it in with a beauty blender. Then take your concealer this should be 2 shades lighter than your skin tone, apply it under your eyes and on your forehead. I wouldn't suggest contouring for a beginner. So just apply a translucent powder under your eyes to set your concealer. If you have oily skin you can also apply this on your oily patches. Then apply the blush lightly. If you haven't done your eyebrows before watch a tutorial but if you're not into that then you could just brush them over with clear gel. Then apply a light eyeshadow to your lids and under your brown bone. Apply a darker one in your crease. If your into eyeliner watch a tutorial and try a pencil first as this is the easiest, you can always go over it with gel of you are confident. Apply your mascara Then use a lip liner then lip lip stick. Look at carli bybels everyday makeup and this is a really good video. Hope this helped. Happy to help with anything else. (:
    thank you very very very much haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Novascope)
    You want to get a good base primer first. To get a matte look with your foundation, you could ever by a setting powder or buy a matte setting spray. I use a matte setting spray from NYX and it's quite good for my foundation which gives a dewy look sometimes. Like someone already suggested, going on YT is a great idea. So many beauty gurus on there nowadays to help. I personally would advise you to start off with things slowly. You mentioned how many things you've bought already, and since you're a beginner it's best to master one thing first, and give yourself time to get used to seeing yourself in makeup, e.g just start off by wearing foundation, then move onto wearing a bit of lipgloss, then eyeshadow etc.
    i got the nyx setting spray today haha, so much to learn in so little time
    haha but thank youuu))

ReputationRep:
    YouTube videos will help you so much
    Anyway to make your foundation more matte - get a powder
    For your eyeshadow - blend colors in
    And try lipstick and lipliners -instead of lipgloss

ReputationRep:
    lol
    #iwokeuplikedis

but really, if you have no helpful tips then go away lmaooooo
    :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    You should take care with your skin and trying not to use too much make up. If I were 18 I'd not use makeup unless you have an special occasion. However if you want good advices about all kind of makeups, youtube is your best option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    :cry2:
    ok, ok, you can stay
    lmaooooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarolJenner)
    You should take care with your skin and trying not to use too much make up. If I were 18 I'd not use makeup unless you have an special occasion. However if you want good advices about all kind of makeups, youtube is your best option
    but i do have a special occasion, im starting uni

ReputationRep:

This is basically me in a nutshell...

ReputationRep:
    I can definitely recommend the 'primed and pore less' primer by too faced, best one I've ever used. In terms of make up companies I go with too faced, the balm and lush, good luck at Uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    I can definitely recommend the 'primed and pore less' primer by too faced, best one I've ever used. In terms of make up companies I go with too faced, the balm and lush, good luck at Uni!
    damn, i bought the smash box photo finish primer yesterday for nearly 50€
    not sure how i feel about this lmao

ReputationRep:
    I gained a lot of experience from watching tutorials on youtube first, then practicing afterwards to build up skill. After all, makeup when applied well and properly is basically art for the face. My favourite makeup artists/youtubers are: Laura Leth, Lisa Eldridge and Nikkie Tutorials, they are so good and you can recreate their looks with more affordable products if you can't get the high end stuff. However, if there is one thing I swear by, use microporous surgical tape when applying eyeliner, cut a little strip and stick under bottom lash line, following the eye shape upwards. Then gently and slowly start creating the wing against the edge of the tape, make it as minimal or dramatic as you like. Then create the connecting line from the inner corner of the eye and join it to the wing. You can make it as thick as you want. TIP: Before doing the proper eyeliner, put some underneath the top lashline, it really completes the eyeliner. Make sure you get the liner as close to the lash line as possible. This is my go to basic eyeliner look with no eyeshadow and I love it. Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    damn, i bought the smash box photo finish primer yesterday for nearly 50€
    not sure how i feel about this lmao
    I've heard fab things about that one too! Tbh a lot of my love for too faced is its cruelty free/vegan status but I'm sure the smash box will work really well!

ReputationRep:
    I also use mainly drugstore products but I'm saving up for high end stuff from brands like MAC, Anastasia Beverly Hills and Too Faced. My favourite brands so far are NYX, Maybelline, Rimmel and Makeup Revolution - All super affordable.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.