The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

Degree classification Uni Westminster

Hi,

What is the exact percentage each year is worth at Westminster university ?

thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sashare
Hi,

What is the exact percentage each year is worth at Westminster university ?

thanks!

Hello

Here is the breakdown of grades needed by percentage to pass a degree at Westminster. Please note that first year grades (Level 4) are not counted towards the final degree classification.

For a First Class Honours: An average of 70% or above in the best 105 credits at credit level 6 (Year 3) with an averageof 60% or above in the next best 105 credits at credit levels 5 (Year 2) and 6 (Year 3).
For a Upper Second Class Honours: An average of 60% or above in the best 105 credits at credit level 6, with an average of 50% or above in the next best 105 credits at credit levels 5 and 6.
For a Lower Second Class Honours: An average of 50% or above in the best 105 credits at credit level 6, with an average of 40% or above in the next best 105 credits at credit levels 5 and 6.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team :smile:
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by University of Westminster
Hello

Here is the breakdown of grades needed by percentage to pass a degree at Westminster. Please note that first year grades (Level 4) are not counted towards the final degree classification.

For a First Class Honours: An average of 70% or above in the best 105 credits at credit level 6 (Year 3) with an averageof 60% or above in the next best 105 credits at credit levels 5 (Year 2) and 6 (Year 3).
For a Upper Second Class Honours: An average of 60% or above in the best 105 credits at credit level 6, with an average of 50% or above in the next best 105 credits at credit levels 5 and 6.
For a Lower Second Class Honours: An average of 50% or above in the best 105 credits at credit level 6, with an average of 40% or above in the next best 105 credits at credit levels 5 and 6.

Best wishes

Kim

Hi,
I'm a psychology student, I got 58% for my second year, what do i need to get in third year to get a 2.1. i took 105 credits this year and 135 credits for third year. would really appreciate your help. thanks
Original post by amieeee
Hi,
I'm a psychology student, I got 58% for my second year, what do i need to get in third year to get a 2.1. i took 105 credits this year and 135 credits for third year. would really appreciate your help. thanks

You'll need an average of 60%+ in your third year (105 credit modules level 6) and the rest will need to average a 50%+. There is no weighting
Reply 4
Original post by Sixformer
You'll need an average of 60%+ in your third year (105 credit modules level 6) and the rest will need to average a 50%+. There is no weighting

thank you, so for instance as i got 58% for second year which is over 50% to get 2.1 , say i again get 58% in third year in my best 105 modules at level 6 what would be my overall classification? thank you so much for your earlier reply.
Original post by amieeee
thank you, so for instance as i got 58% for second year which is over 50% to get 2.1 , say i again get 58% in third year in my best 105 modules at level 6 what would be my overall classification? thank you so much for your earlier reply.

That would get you a 2.2, because essentially its:

>For a 2.1, you must achieve:
50%+ in 2nd year
60%+ in 3rd year

>For a 2.2, you must achieve:
40%+ in 2nd year
50%+ in 3rd year

Those are the criteria, so if you would like an overall 2.1, ensure you get 60%+ in your best 105credits at level 6.

The university is not lenient with rounding up classifications, so make sure you work hard and get 60%+

Good luck, and I'm more than happy to help!
Hi sixformer, I am currently at Westminster going into my final year. My 2nd year overall was 44% due to 1 year of resits, if I get 70% overall for my final year, would I get a first? If not, what would theoretically get me a first?

Thanks!
Original post by georgette666
Hi sixformer, I am currently at Westminster going into my final year. My 2nd year overall was 44% due to 1 year of resits, if I get 70% overall for my final year, would I get a first? If not, what would theoretically get me a first?

Thanks!

Hi there

I have spoken with the Registry Team regarding your question on final year grades and getting a First. As you have an overall grade of 44% from your 2nd Year it is impossible for you to get a First Class Honours. This is because your 2nd Year grades are counted towards your final degree classification. You would have needed a minimum of 60% overall from your 2nd Year to be near a First Class. The Registry Office staff can give you more information on this if you need further clarification.

Best wishes

Kim
Original post by University of Westminster
Hi there

I have spoken with the Registry Team regarding your question on final year grades and getting a First. As you have an overall grade of 44% from your 2nd Year it is impossible for you to get a First Class Honours. This is because your 2nd Year grades are counted towards your final degree classification. You would have needed a minimum of 60% overall from your 2nd Year to be near a First Class. The Registry Office staff can give you more information on this if you need further clarification.

Best wishes

Kim

Unfortunately thats how it works. I only fully got this after graduating, as for some reason Westminster isn't very clear on how this works. I spent a lot of time looking into this and everyone (staff, registry, SU) have a different idea on how it all works, which to me is very inefficient. In my opinion, its really unfair that due to not getting a certain mark (60%), in your second year prevents you from achieving a first overall. There are hundreds of students who don't do so well in second year, but buckle down for third year and atleast a first is not impossible for them. Also, its quite strange that the second year mark has no actual weighting, only that you need to achieve a certain %. If I had knew this, things would've been a lot different, I was alway told it was 30-70.
Also to add, I know someone who got a 58% in 2nd year and a 72% in third year, and ended up with an overall 2.1.

Andddd, overall I justt found that Westminster likes to make our lives hard and does not want us to succeed and get firsts! They took liberties but placing all our exams in one week whereas other departments had weeks apart. And guess what? NOTHING could be done about this, typical!
(edited 7 years ago)
So even if I get 80-90% overall in my 3rd year and 44% in my 2nd year I will get a lower second class degree?? :'(

I guess I shouldn't even bother working hard for my 3rd year then?
My reasons for messing up my 2nd year was due to major depression issues which negatively affected my performance and forced me to repeat core 2nd year modules. Now if even working hard won't give me an opportunity to change that then wow, I am severely disappointed in that university. GBP 9000+ a year and not even a proper opportunity to prove my true potential to get a decent classification. SMH.
(edited 7 years ago)
So even if I get 80-90% overall in my 3rd year and 44% in my 2nd year I will get a lower second class degree?? :'(

I guess I shouldn't even bother working hard for my 3rd year then?
My reasons for messing up my 2nd year was due to major depression issues which negatively affected my performance and forced me to repeat core 2nd year modules. Now if even working hard won't give me an opportunity to change that then wow, I am severely disappointed in that university. GBP 9000+ a year and not even a proper opportunity to prove my true potential to get a decent classification. SMH.

Exactly my point! Its absolute rubbish! And the fact that they don't make this very clear from the very beginning!

However, in your case, do you have medical proof for your situation? If so, why don't you apply for MC? Also, speak to your tutor or someone in registry to see what advise they can offer on this. Because as your average is 44%, it means that the highest you can walk away with would be a 2.2.
Exactly my point! Its absolute rubbish! And the fact that they don't make this very clear from the very beginning!

However, in your case, do you have medical proof for your situation? If so, why don't you apply for MC? Also, speak to your tutor or someone in registry to see what advise they can offer on this. Because as your average is 44%, it means that the highest you can walk away with would be a 2.2.

It's way too late now for my medical proof as it was 2 years ago, in retrospect it's also my fault for not using proof to get a chance to sit in for full marks.

Yes it is a total bummer that I'd get a 2.2, on the plus side I guess I could relax a bit with the final year and not worry too much about getting high grades.

I would still want the university to clarify what is possible for new students and what they are getting into and what the consequences might turn out to be.

Overall, I do feel scammed and unsupported by the university, especially with its lack of helpful information and lack of active engagement with students to ensure they need to know what they need to know. But I also feel it is my fault as well. I just hope the university can learn from cases like mine and others.

Thanks for the replies!! :')
It's way too late now for my medical proof as it was 2 years ago, in retrospect it's also my fault for not using proof to get a chance to sit in for full marks.

Yes it is a total bummer that I'd get a 2.2, on the plus side I guess I could relax a bit with the final year and not worry too much about getting high grades.

I would still want the university to clarify what is possible for new students and what they are getting into and what the consequences might turn out to be.

Overall, I do feel scammed and unsupported by the university, especially with its lack of helpful information and lack of active engagement with students to ensure they need to know what they need to know. But I also feel it is my fault as well. I just hope the university can learn from cases like mine and others.

Thanks for the replies!! :':wink:

Hello

I would advise you to contact your Registry Office when you can as they will be able to give you help with your own personal situation. They have reduced office hours through the summer but they are open and will be there to help and advise you before you start back in September. Our University Regulations (which includes clear information on how degrees are calculated) are published on the website and are on Blackboard and all new students can access this information. Students can also approach the Registry Team or their Personal Tutor to ask where they can find this information if they are unsure. We do have an Appeals Process if you haven't declared Mitigating Circumstances and again I recommend you contact the Registry Team to ask how you can apply for this.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
Reply 13
Hi I got an average of 61% in second year. what would I need to get a first and also a 2:1 in third year? Thanks
Original post by NADZ94
Hi I got an average of 61% in second year. what would I need to get a first and also a 2:1 in third year? Thanks

To get a first you will need 70%+ and for a 2.1, you will need 60%+
Reply 15
Unfortunately thats how it works. I only fully got this after graduating, as for some reason Westminster isn't very clear on how this works. I spent a lot of time looking into this and everyone (staff, registry, SU) have a different idea on how it all works, which to me is very inefficient. In my opinion, its really unfair that due to not getting a certain mark (60%), in your second year prevents you from achieving a first overall. There are hundreds of students who don't do so well in second year, but buckle down for third year and atleast a first is not impossible for them. Also, its quite strange that the second year mark has no actual weighting, only that you need to achieve a certain %. If I had knew this, things would've been a lot different, I was alway told it was 30-70.
Also to add, I know someone who got a 58% in 2nd year and a 72% in third year, and ended up with an overall 2.1.

Andddd, overall I justt found that Westminster likes to make our lives hard and does not want us to succeed and get firsts! They took liberties but placing all our exams in one week whereas other departments had weeks apart. And guess what? NOTHING could be done about this, typical!

It is more complicated than this. I graduated from Westminster last year and also currently now work on the course that I graduated from. There are many factors such as examiners, exam boards etc and doesn't come down to the University or a particular course 'just trying to be mean'. In a nutshell be on the edge between two grade classifications can be very disappointing. However, coming from someone who endured blood, sweat and tears (literally) to scrap over that line to get a 1st, my advise to anyone doing a degree is to seriously work hard for it. While others were going for a drink, I was at home working none stop. I always asked myself "How badly do I want it?".
Hi, I averaged 53% in my second year due to housing and financial problems and I could have dealt with the situation better. Does this mean that even if I managed to achieve 90% in my third year I still wouldn't be allowed a first? Surely the exam board would make an exception as most universities do?
Original post by ArtyWanderer
Hi, I averaged 53% in my second year due to housing and financial problems and I could have dealt with the situation better. Does this mean that even if I managed to achieve 90% in my third year I still wouldn't be allowed a first? Surely the exam board would make an exception as most universities do?

Hi there

It won't be possible to get a First Class Honours if you averaged 53% overall in Year 2. Also it is impossible to achieve 90% overall in Year 3 as the university grading system is such that the top grades are typically between 70-79%.

If you do excel in your final year you should be able to get an Upper Second (2:1) overall grade.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
Reply 18
Hi

Ian currently at my third year at the university of westminster and I achieved 72% overall in my second year I would like to know what is the requirement percentage wise for a First class in the final year.

Thank you
Original post by hbhbhb
Hi

Ian currently at my third year at the university of westminster and I achieved 72% overall in my second year I would like to know what is the requirement percentage wise for a First class in the final year.

Thank you

Hi there

If you have passed your 2nd Year with 72% overall and you are now in your 3rd Year, you will need to pass with 70% overall to obtain a First Class Honours degree.

Good luck!

Kim

Quick Reply

Latest