The Student Room Group

How do you get a summer job? I want to work full time but not permanently

I've been looking online and I can only seem to find permanent full time jobs. Should I just apply for the jobs anyway then leave when Uni starts. Moving back home isn't really an option for me over summer, so I need a job that can pay my rent. My student loan won't be enough, for the entire summer.

I've had quite a few jobs already, starting to think it might make me seem unreliable if I kept quiting jobs. Which is what I have done previously.I tried looking for internships but they seem to only want second years and I'm a first year.
If you get the job soon yeah then i think it will be okay because then you can say you have worked for 3-4 months.

What have you decided to do ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Shaliina
I've been looking online and I can only seem to find permanent full time jobs. Should I just apply for the jobs anyway then leave when Uni starts. Moving back home isn't really an option for me over summer, so I need a job that can pay my rent. My student loan won't be enough, for the entire summer.

I've had quite a few jobs already, starting to think it might make me seem unreliable if I kept quiting jobs. Which is what I have done previously.I tried looking for internships but they seem to only want second years and I'm a first year.

Have you tried retail? They should be recruiting for the summer try places like Primark, Tesco, Sainsburys or Debenhams most of these offer part time roles too. Also some jobs allow you to transfer to a store where your uni is i know someone did that when i worked at Primark years ago.

Doesn't your university have summer jobs?

It's not such an issue during educational years to switch jobs frequently.

Apply for a job, leave when you have to.

Apply to positions and look for start dates asap. There's no point in applying for a job that starts 2 months into the summer! And if you start the process when you're available, you'll be working further and further into the gap you have.

If you don't have much experience then it could be worth walking into non-chain restaurants, bars and shops and seeing if they have any vacancies. Explain your situation (not the money part, just that you have a gap to fill and want to work as many hours as possible to fill up your time). Particularly in bars, people move jobs very frequently, so they're used to seeing people move on a few months after starting work. Also, anything customer-service related is likely to be busier over the summer months because people go out and about more, so they'll be looking for people to work over that time.

Make sure you make it clear when you're able to start work when you approach them.
Try and choose somewhere reasonably close to where you're living. It's a hugs bonus to have employees who can come in when someone else calls in sick or for whatever other reason.

Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending