Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Um so this is awkward for obvious reasons so I'm posting anonymously.

I started my period when I was 13. I had one period, then nothing for sixth months. Then, out of the blue I had a second one. Since that, I haven't had a single one.

Is anyone else in a similar position? Does this mean I'm infertile?

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea, and the rest of TSR probably won't either. I suggest you talk to a medical professional.

(Original post by Anonymous)

I started my period when I was 13. I had one period, then nothing for sixth months. Then, out of the blue I had a second one. Since that, I haven't had a single one.

woah! Please get this checked, it sounds concerning. ASAP, get it checked.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    They can take some time to settle down when you first start your periods. Butthat really doesn't sound right.

You could be low in iron or possible have a cyst in your ovaries,
    if you go to the GP they will take a blood test to help identify your hormone levels

ReputationRep:
    Going to your GP will be the best thing to do

ReputationRep:

Are you underweight?

Or not eating properly? When I was 14, I didn't get my period for 3 months because I was barely eating.

ReputationRep:
    I would talk to your GP for further investigation/discussion, but periods can be affected by many things - have you been underweight or involved in sports? Or it could be a hormonal issue. Try not to worry until you have official answers.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely book an appointment with your doctor, when i first had mine i didnt have another for the next 3 months but after it was every 4 weeks.
    I had a colleague who said she took these birth control pills and she was taking it for years and never had a review whilst on them and eventually she stopped taking it and she never had a period after and the doctor said she had a brain tumour (Benign) and started taking these tablets for life and she started having periods again.
    Not saying you have this but please get checked out.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Stress can also affect periods. But yeah, I'd get it checked out just in case.

ReputationRep:
    You need to see a GP.
    I'd make an appointment for about 4 years ago to be safe...

ReputationRep:

sounds worse than my pooping situation

ReputationRep:
    Google it.

ReputationRep:
    GP

My mum told me that at this age some people haven't even started their period yet. So I was hoping it wasn't anything to worry about.

I'm not sure about going to the GP. I don't want to embarrass myself if there's nothing wrong. Perhaps if I leave it a while it might sort itself out? Are there any pills I could take?

I would recommend talking to your GP. The only possible thing I could think that it might be though is PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). A few of my friends have that and it causes irregular (or no) periods.

ReputationRep:
    My mum told me that at this age some people haven't even started their period yet. So I was hoping it wasn't anything to worry about.

I'm not sure about going to the GP. I don't want to embarrass myself if there's nothing wrong. Perhaps if I leave it a while it might sort itself out? Are there any pills I could take?
    You've already left it for several years to "sort itself out." It hasn't.

Go see your GP.

I would recommend talking to your GP. The only possible thing I could think that it might be though is PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). A few of my friends have that and it causes irregular (or no) periods.
    Thanks. If it is PCOS does that mean I can't have kids?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. If it is PCOS does that mean I can't have kids?
    No. Lots of women with PCOS have kids, it might just take longer to conceive.

ReputationRep:
    OP, are you very skinny? I say this since being very skinny means your body isn't producing enough of the hormones for you to have a period as it would malnourish your body. And it's common for people with a low BMI or anorexia (Not saying you are, but in general) to not have periods or produce sperm, yet it may also seriously affect a person's sex drive.

Whether you are or aren't skinny, I'd still see a GP since we want you in top condition!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.