Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    what are the salaries of aircraft engineers? those engineers who maintain and repair aircrafts

does anyone have insight to advise me?

I am seeing various sorts of salaries and without knowing the hierarchy I cannot have a clear view

are they similar to pilot's salaries? does it involve manual work or it is office based?

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studos)
    what are the salaries of aircraft engineers? those engineers who maintain and repair aircrafts

does anyone have insight to advise me?

I am seeing various sorts of salaries and without knowing the hierarchy I cannot have a clear view

are they similar to pilot's salaries? does it involve manual work or it is office based?

thanks!
    I'm not sure about the question on salaries, but I can tell you this. One you get your Aircraft Maintenance Engineer's license, you start off at the bottom and you need to work your way up. Those that repair and maintain aircrafts are called AMEs(Aircraft Maintenance Engineer)

It really depends on the airline. Different airlines offer different salaries.

They are not, the salaries are perhaps somewhat lower than that of pilots. AMEs are supposed to be working hands-on so you'll be working on the aircrafts and not in an office
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Starting around 15k and going up to the low 30s, maybe more if you become a manager, and they're called technicians not engineers as engineers design while technicians maintain.

Salaries will be lower than a pilot of course, pilot salaries are low for more recently trained people but they're still decent salaries.

It's mostly manual, but I'd think it has a healthy amount of paperwork due to the safety procedures required for flying.

ReputationRep:
    OK but I am not asking about technicians, but engineers. Maybe those who are in the offices and overview the maintenance etc?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    OK but I am not asking about technicians, but engineers. Maybe those who are in the offices and overview the maintenance etc?
    Engineers don't do maintenance at all, is the point I tried to make. What you're trying to do is call a technician an engineer.

If you're asking about what an engineer does, it's mostly office work, salary starts at 25k and can go up into the high 60s after chartership (it can go higher in more niche areas).

ReputationRep:
    Try google

ReputationRep:
    For a Licensed engineer the license is more important that the degree. Type ratings are also important, more so than a degree imo. Although I am an avionic fitter (unlicensed) at £20 /hr a licensed eng will be £25/hr upwards job/experience/type ratings dependent. And yes the licensed engineers get their hands dirty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Engineers don't do maintenance at all, is the point I tried to make. What you're trying to do is call a technician an engineer.

If you're asking about what an engineer does, it's mostly office work, salary starts at 25k and can go up into the high 60s after chartership (it can go higher in more niche areas).
    I believe you are thinking of a design engineer. Maintenance "engineers" very much get their hands dirty.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.