Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I weigh myself every other day, and it's always different watch

ReputationRep:
    And my weight is noticably different every time
    Last week, I weighed 99lb/7stone.
    Earlier this week, I weighed 109lb/7.8stone.
    Today, I weigh 104lb/7.4stone.

Is this really a dramatic difference, or do I just have no idea what I'm talking about. Because I googled something along the lines of "i keep losing and gaining weight" and some really serious condtions came up, and I know it can't be that.

I do eat healthily and I'm not concerned about my body weight. I'm just confused.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on when you weigh yourself and your water weight. You're supposed to weigh yourself in the morning after you've been to the toilet and before you have breakfast. If you weigh yourself during the day/go toilet frequently, your body weight will fluctuate.

ReputationRep:
    It does seem a bit unlikely, I weigh myself every day but at the same time. Do you make sure you do it a regular interval?

ReputationRep:
    It also depends on the scales and their position on the floor- we have some and depending on the patch of floor they are on and how you stand on them it can very a good few pounds. Always weigh at the same time of day, wearing clothes of a similar weight each time if possible and in the same place

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Drinking more water than usual? Last time you took a dump? Period coming up? Mostly just water weight fluctuations dw

ReputationRep:
    Time of day/taken a dump or haven't/water weight

ReputationRep:
    What the others have said - make sure to weigh yourself soon after you've woken up, gone to the toilet (both), with no clothes on, and before you've eaten. You should get some more consistency then. It's nothing to worry about
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    At what time of the day are you weighing yourself? Should be first thing in the morning, after you go to the toilet. Any other time is unreliable

Also consider how hydrated you are, what you ate and when you last went for a #2

ReputationRep:
    so many things can alter your weight
    time of the month
    water weight if you've had something salty
    whether you've been to the toilet recently
    where your scales are/which direction
    what you're wearing
    time of day

I don't think 10lbs is that crazy of a difference to be honest, unless you genuinely feel your clothes etc are showing your weight is going up and down I wouldn't worry
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Weighing yourself too often. Once a week straight after the morning pee will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly. It's most likely to do with water weight.

I once went to bed weighing 85KG after eating loads of vegetables and woke up at 81KG

This morning I was 78.5 now I'm already 80

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, as others have said weight yourself every day, same time. Morning post pee pre breakfas is easiest for most people.

Secondly, plot your 7 day moving average and monitor that.. You'll get a lot of noise due to general hydration etc so it's not good to overreact to each data point.

Example below is my weight from recently. Individual data points fluctuate up and down but the trendline looks good.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies people. I was curious as to why this was happening.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.