The Student Room Group

What sexism have you experienced personally? (male & female)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by joecphillips
It's amazing how people can break a rule then claim it is sexist when they are punished for it

They specified that the girl was sent home because her short skirt was "distracting the boys", not that she was simply breaking rules. If she was just breaking the rules, as was often the case with short skirts in my all-girl secondary school, the issue of sexism wouldn't have been raised.
Reply 21
Original post by Leona-L
They specified that the girl was sent home because her short skirt was "distracting the boys", not that she was simply breaking rules. If she was just breaking the rules, as was often the case with short skirts in my all-girl secondary school, the issue of sexism wouldn't have been raised.

And if she was sent home without breaking rules complain to whoever but there will be rules regarding this and she will of broke them
Having adult men think its okay to catcall me an underage teenage girl, being told what I can and can't do as a girl, having boys my age rate me out of 10, boys do this a lot at my school and it's so annoying as none of the girls do this:/
Reply 23
Original post by Tinemither
"Men are all arrogant b*stards, lazy tw*ts and self obsessed, bulls*itting a*sholes."
Common courtesy of my mother.

Otherwise I am constantly at battle with my sociology teacher (open radical feminist) who marks down me and the only other male person in the class, ignores the girls' cheating during essays and assessments, is openly biased against men in all ways and disregards perfectly valid answers in discussions from me and him, claiming it is because we are underperforming and not doing as well as the girls, despite doing equal to or better than them with our other teacher (male). I'm pretty sure that's sexism, right?

My mum is the same, often in the presence of my male friends who are just expected to take it. How old is your sociology teacher? Those types are usually in their 50s, having been radicalised by a high dose of 80s-type feminism when they were young.
Reply 24
Original post by joecphillips
And if she was sent home without breaking rules complain to whoever but there will be rules regarding this and she will of broke them

That might not be the case; there's no such rule at my sixth form.
Original post by Leona-L
My mum is the same, often in the presence of my male friends who are just expected to take it. How old is your sociology teacher? Those types are usually in their 50s, having been radicalised by a high dose of 80s-type feminism when they were young.

She seems to be late thirties, early fourties. Either way, she is horrible to us. The eighties was a decade where feminism and other forms of conflict groups took a firm stand. Luckily it's on the decrease now, with the rise of popular feminism (Not overly great in its own right. Tries to promote the idea of sexual inequality through "Kissing, snogging and shagging" - McRobbie, 1999, but in doing so, doesn't promote anything other than it being right for people to sleep about. All well and good for them, I'm not shaming. Just not my cup of coffee (Don't drink tea)).
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
My sister was sent home from school because her skirt was too short and distracting for the boys.

Sad that a guy's education seems to matter more in those cases.

Well with Miley Cyrus and the kardshans being seen as icons and role models, I am not surprised, and i am in support of any school that has restrictions on dress codes.
Reply 27
At work a co worker always tries to make me do the cleaning because I'm a girl
Played rugby with boys..... You can imagine how that went.
My family used to call me Mark, because I cut my hair short.
When I was picking my GCSEs, got told I should do health and social care 'cause all the girls do' :colonhash:
Reply 28
But on the flip side, my brother was told by his other halfs wife he'd never get custody of their children because he's a man.
I have never experienced sexism and I don't know any other girls that have.
My sister was sent home from school because her skirt was too short and distracting for the boys.

The boys weren't breaking the rules, your sister was.
Original post by banterboy

Since when is having a skirt just above the knee sexual in any way?

Wow
Since when is having a skirt just above the knee sexual in any way?

Since most of history in the west tbh.

If a girl shows her leg i will look. tbh i could concentrate on lessons just fine when they have their legs out but rules are rules. I was responding to your point about why should the girl's education be harmed but not the boys; well if it's either or why should the innocent party be punished because the guilty party broke the rules?

Original post by loveleest
I am in sixth form and it happens all the time it is so annoying! girls in my shool get sent home for wearing a skirt one cm above their knee:toofunny:

I was going to make a thread about this actually.

Original post by loveleest
hmm I wouldn't say so.
I think sending home girls for small uniform issues is a bit :/. The teachers in my school look around to find the smallest flaws in our uniforms. sounds like they are wasting tine tbh. They could be doing so much better than starring at our uniforms all day.

It's amazing that a school's response is to send a pupil home when you can just ask them to roll down their skirt or give them a spare one (if it is that offensive). If the girl refuses, just give her a minus point (or whatever your school does).

Fortunately my (all-girls) school is sensible about uniform issues and just makes girls lower their skirts or suggests that they buy new ones. And anyway, the girls who roll up their skirts are the same ones who will hoist them up again straight after the teacher telling them off has walked around the corner! It's a waste of time to bother about these things on a normal school day.
Original post by banterboy

Yes, but the school could have handled the situation in a better way than sending her home.
To be honest i onyl had girls in six form, but my 13 year old self would would absolutely have been distracted by a short skirt and you'd have immature boys getting up to all sorts of antics to show off. Makes perfect sense to not make puberty any more distracting for education than it already is.

The fact this is the main issue on this thread just shows that feminism no longer has a valid role in society tbh.
"Do you have a boyfriend?" in 2 interviews to date.

"Enjoy your 20's because it's downhill for women after 30." From my boss.

"I will have you." From a different boss.
Original post by Banana00
Yes, but the school could have handled the situation in a better way than sending her home.

probably, but this is an administrative quibble, not sexism.
Nothing major. But when I was in primary school I was quite a tomboy so I had a lot of guy friends, and I'd always want to play football with them and they'd tell me no because it was "boys only". Little *****.

Quick Reply

Latest