Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

So long story short, I applied to all the ChemEng courses in London for 2016 entry. Only fully submitted my "extra documentation" to UCL. UCL gave me an unconditional and the rest rejected me as I didn't submit everything they wanted. Now events have transpired and I can only start in 2017, and have deferred my UCL offer until then.

I've been doing a lot of reading on UCL's engineering, and it appears to be quite a shambles :P However I am aware that the internet has the ability to blow up situations quite a bit. So I was wondering, is UCL's engineering (specifically chemical) really THAT bad? I see the student satisfaction for UCL is really bad, while other institutions are pretty good (ICL, Manchester etc).

If it turns out that UCL's engineering really is as bad as it appears to be, I'll apply to other unis (even outside London, like Liverpool/Manchester etc) for 2017 entry and hope for the best.

Can anybody weigh in on the situation at UCL? Are the engineering buildings old and dingy? Is the teaching good? Department organised? Is the workload at UCL insane compared to other unis? (I understand that an engineering degree will be intense, but a well taught degree would make it much more bearable)

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any responses

ReputationRep:
    :bump:

ReputationRep:
    Why not just reject it and reapply to UCL with the others? It won't affect you negatively at all and it'll give you a few more choices of unis to go to rather than just deciding to go to UCL because it was the one that accepted you and you couldn't be bothered to reapply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Why not just reject it and reapply to UCL with the others? It won't affect you negatively at all and it'll give you a few more choices of unis to go to rather than just deciding to go to UCL because it was the one that accepted you and you couldn't be bothered to reapply.
    Thanks for the response. Initially I thought I could select UCL as my Firm choice now and reapply to other institutions for 2017 entry. (UCL said that for me to defer my entry to next year I'd still need to indicate it as my Firm choice before this years deadline of 8th June). Then come next year I could reevaluate my decision based on which institutions have made me offers. Does this sound possible, or am I cutting a corner somewhere?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Oldwhpsian)
    Hi guys!

So long story short, I applied to all the ChemEng courses in London for 2016 entry. Only fully submitted my "extra documentation" to UCL. UCL gave me an unconditional and the rest rejected me as I didn't submit everything they wanted. Now events have transpired and I can only start in 2017, and have deferred my UCL offer until then.

I've been doing a lot of reading on UCL's engineering, and it appears to be quite a shambles :P However I am aware that the internet has the ability to blow up situations quite a bit. So I was wondering, is UCL's engineering (specifically chemical) really THAT bad? I see the student satisfaction for UCL is really bad, while other institutions are pretty good (ICL, Manchester etc).

If it turns out that UCL's engineering really is as bad as it appears to be, I'll apply to other unis (even outside London, like Liverpool/Manchester etc) for 2017 entry and hope for the best.

Can anybody weigh in on the situation at UCL? Are the engineering buildings old and dingy? Is the teaching good? Department organised? Is the workload at UCL insane compared to other unis? (I understand that an engineering degree will be intense, but a well taught degree would make it much more bearable)

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any responses
    I don't know because, I went on Google then on uk university guide it said its 19/26 best university in uk, but I don't think it's that try another one
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Oldwhpsian)
    Thanks for the response. Initially I thought I could select UCL as my Firm choice now and reapply to other institutions for 2017 entry. (UCL said that for me to defer my entry to next year I'd still need to indicate it as my Firm choice before this years deadline of 8th June). Then come next year I could reevaluate my decision based on which institutions have made me offers. Does this sound possible, or am I cutting a corner somewhere?
    You can't reapply on UCAS while holding deferred offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.