The Student Room Group

Revision tips

I'm taking four AS-levels this year so I'm trying to revise as much as I can, but I am finding it really hard to get stuck into revision and when I do I feel like it's just not going in. Any revision tips?
Getting started with revision can be really difficult at first. At the start of the day I usually write myself goals of what revision I want to complete in the day. I usually revise for an hour and then take a 10 minute break, as breaks are so important or it becomes difficult to remember things.

Make a poster summarising everything for one topic, section or make mind maps. I find that flash cards are extremely helpful as repeating the answers helps you to remember things.

After you've revised quite a bit then have a go at a past paper and make sure you aim your revision towards what you struggled with in the past papers. It's easy to revise easy parts of the course and then ignore the more difficult parts, but if you slowly keep on going over more difficult parts then you begin to understand.
Original post by HollyNaz
I'm taking four AS-levels this year so I'm trying to revise as much as I can, but I am finding it really hard to get stuck into revision and when I do I feel like it's just not going in. Any revision tips?

I genuinely cannot revise if I'm not in college and so I don't bother revising during term breaks. You've got about 4 weeks left for revision which is quite a lot.

Revision methods like queue cards or mind maps take forever and time is crucial up to the exams. What I like to do is get all of the unit specifications and rewrite or type everything i can remember and if I can't I go over that topic again. You can end up revising a unit in 3 hours which is very time effective. Also in conjucntion with this do some past papers on the weekends and then 2 weeks before the exam just focus on them, before cramming in the specification the night before.

The key to success is mastering the specification and then testing you have the structure perfected for the exam.
Reply 3
Original post by ashleymacleod
Getting started with revision can be really difficult at first. At the start of the day I usually write myself goals of what revision I want to complete in the day. I usually revise for an hour and then take a 10 minute break, as breaks are so important or it becomes difficult to remember things.

Make a poster summarising everything for one topic, section or make mind maps. I find that flash cards are extremely helpful as repeating the answers helps you to remember things.

After you've revised quite a bit then have a go at a past paper and make sure you aim your revision towards what you struggled with in the past papers. It's easy to revise easy parts of the course and then ignore the more difficult parts, but if you slowly keep on going over more difficult parts then you begin to understand.

I always end up revising the bits I'm already familiar with because I find it easier! I just always think that I don't have time for breaks because I should be revising instead!
Original post by HollyNaz
I always end up revising the bits I'm already familiar with because I find it easier! I just always think that I don't have time for breaks because I should be revising instead!

Yeah, the breaks thing is something which I struggled with recently. However, I've noticed that it makes days of revision go so much more quickly, it's quite refreshing and I don't feel the need to procrastinate and go on my phone.

Quick Reply

Latest