Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain how to do 5c). I am unsure on what the markscheme did, but I am assuming they rotated the velocity vector so that it became parallel with the line of action, if this is the case I understand the reason behind this. But I am unsure on how they did the rotation (I think they used a transformation matrix).

Markscheme; https://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/Rep...s_20090819.pdf

Name:  M4 2009 Q5.png
Views: 75
Size:  45.1 KB
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by mubmoh)
    Can someone please explain how to do 5c). I am unsure on what the markscheme did, but I am assuming they rotated the velocity vector so that it became parallel with the line of action, if this is the case I understand the reason behind this. But I am unsure on how they did the rotation (I think they used a transformation matrix).

Markscheme; https://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/Rep...s_20090819.pdf

Name:  M4 2009 Q5.png
Views: 75
Size:  45.1 KB
    There is no rotation.

Having worked out the line of centres, they then worked out the velocities along the line of centres using the dot product with a unit vector in that direction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    There is no rotation.

Having worked out the line of centres, they then worked out the velocities along the line of centres using the dot product with a unit vector in that direction.

A.B=|A||B|cos(pheta)
    If B is a unit vector |B| is 1. If I want A such that it is along the line of centres (parallel to B) then pheta is equal to 0, therefore cos(pheta)=1, leaving A.B=|A|
    where |A| is the speed along the line of centre. Am I right with this reasoning?

Also, is using a unit vector for B mandatory as if B had a scaler they would all cancel when calculating e?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    A.B=|A||B|cos(pheta)
    If B is a unit vector |B| is 1. If I want A such that it is along the line of centres (parallel to B) then pheta is equal to 0, therefore cos(pheta)=1, leaving A.B=|A|
    where |A| is the speed along the line of centre. Am I right with this reasoning?
    That's a bit confusing, you seem to have used A with two meanings.

If r is a unit vector, then A.r, will give you the magnitude of the component of A in the r direction.

A.r = |A| |r| cos(angle between them)

And if |r| =1, then
    A.r = |A| cos(angle between them)
    i.e. the magnitude of the component of A in the r direction. Effectively resolving A into components; this one being in the direction r.
    Diagram may help clarify.

Also, is using a unit vector for B mandatory as if B had a scaler they would all cancel when calculating e?
    It's wise to use a unit vector as then you've have the velocity in the the desired direction, otherwise it's a multiple of the velocity. And you may have other uses for the velocity within the question.

It would still work with a non-unit vector, when calculating e, as you surmised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    That's a bit confusing, you seem to have used A with two meanings.

If r is a unit vector, then A.r, will give you the magnitude of the component of A in the r direction.

A.r = |A| |r| cos(angle between them)

And if |r| =1, then
    A.r = |A| cos(angle between them)
    i.e. the magnitude of the component of A in the r direction. Effectively resolving A into components; this one being in the direction r.
    Diagram may help clarify.
    Thanks a lot, I understand now , we're just taking the part of A which is parallel/in the direction of r.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Thanks a lot, I understand now , we're just taking the part of A which is parallel/in the direction of r.
    Yep.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 11, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.