BrwnSugR1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I'm curious as to whether the autonomic nervous system is simply made up of the autonomic motor neurones? And if such is true then are the parasympathetic and sympathetic systems just types of autonomic motor neurons?

If not, could you please explain the relationship between the autonomic nervous system and sensory & motor systems to me or link me to a good video explaining it.

Thanks!
alkyone
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's true that the autonomic nervous system is only referring to the efferent fibres, i.e. The neurons leaving the central nervous system. I don't think it is just motor neurons though, you also have the relay neurons involved, everything that is involved after the CNS. The autonomic nervous system controls skeletal muscle (eg. Diaphragm) smooth muscle (e.g. In arteries) and the myocardium (heart), as well as glands etc (e.g. Adrenal glands). Parasympathetic and sympathetic branches have differences in the neurotransmitters (chemicals) they release so they have a different effect on the effector.

What do you want to know about how they are connected? sensory neurons just give feedback to the CNS (spinal cord, brain) that coordinates responses and Relay information to your effector muscle through Motor neurons.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (218)
70.32%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
18.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
10.97%

Watched Threads