Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which MacBook do you use for your course and what course do you take- what MacBook would you recommend for either Music or History?

Thanks

I'm Batman
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Barrett66Bertie)
    Which MacBook do you use for your course and what course do you take- what MacBook would you recommend for either Music or History?

Thanks

I'm Batman
    I can't comment on specific recommendations except that if you wait until you start university you'll be eligible for a 15% education discount (with a better warranty).

It might be worth asking in the Performing arts and music forum or the History forums.

ReputationRep:
    I study law and i use the 2015 Macbook Pro 13" with retina display.

Honestly, the reason I chose that one was because they were doing a really good promotion on it at Currys when I went to by an apply computer.

I like my macbook as it is really portable considering i have so many books to carry with me each day, and the battery life is really good (unlike the macbook air from what i have heard on other threads)

Also I am quite keen on photography so the images display is also really good.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Macbook Air is a bit basic and specs aren't great, they're fine for internet browsing and word etc. but probably more suited to people who don't run a lot of programs. The regular Macbook is a step above that and might suit you, depending on your requirements.

If you're going to want to play games or use photoshop, or if you end up doing music and run Sibelius, a Macbook Pro is the way to go. They are discontinuing the regular Macbook Pro so you should probably go for a Retina version if you decide to go down that route. They're quite expensive though, even with student discount and if you buy a model with less storage you might need an external hard drive, depending how much you store on your computer. You would probably also want to factor in apple care just in case it gets damaged while you're at uni.

You're probably best off going into a Stormfront or Apple Store and they will find something to suit you based on your usage.

ReputationRep:
    I have a 13" macbook pro, and I definitely couldn't recommend it more! I was going to take my tablet to lectures and seminars, but the Macbook is just as lightweight and easy to carry around. The battery life is great, and they're definitely easy to haul around -- the Airs are smaller and lighter, but as has been said above, I've heard they're not the best unless you're only looking to browse the internet and use a word processor. If you want something better quality, the pro is definitely the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    go for the pro version if you can afford it as it the best spec and will hold it value over time if selling it down the line
    Spoiler:
    Show
    my friends just sold his pro as he finished uni and wanted a gaming pc so he sold it for £1200 which is good compared to the £2100 he paid for it new
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    HP Spectre x360, cheaper, thinner, more powerful, better screen and it's a 2 in 1

ReputationRep:
    I have the 11 inch Macbook Air, I study Biology and use it for Word, Powerpoint and the internet. It's perfect for me because I commute and it's nice and light and a small size (roughly the same size as my a4 notebook). I don't bring it into uni that often, only when I need to do work with lab partners in the library.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.