Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would be the result of a skinny person lifting weights? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Lets say this skinny person went to the gym lifting weights BUT there overall weight did not increase.. Would said person become stronger would there be any change in body appearance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    You'd recomp a bit. But you'd run out of gains pretty quickly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, i tried weight lifting a few years ago. Since I have no fat reserves and am just skin and bones, I noticed an initial muscle gain (Very little) and then a huge decrease in the size of my arms overall.

You lose more than you gain, essentially.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe lose a bit of body fat (whatever they have left)? Shouldn't be too much of a significant difference. Diet is key.

ReputationRep:
    It would mean that they're not eating enough. But they would be stronger, they'd have lower body fat so would probably look more toned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butternuts96)
    Maybe lose a bit of body fat (whatever they have left)? Shouldn't be too much of a significant difference. Diet is key.
    So essentially what youre saying is to gain muscle you must gain weight?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Souljer)
    So essentially what youre saying is to gain muscle you must gain weight?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yup. That's kinda how it works.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine that your body will make sacrifices elsewhere to build the muscle wherever you are doing the exercises.

ReputationRep:
    Not entirely sure myself, but I've been going to the gym more recently and my arms are a lot more toned and a little bigger. My chest has also shaped up a bit. My diet is pretty crap though.

Different effects on different people. I would suggest following a proper routine and diet if you're looking to make significant gains. If you're looking for a tone-up, might just be best to go to the gym and see what happens. Perhaps ask a member of staff for advice?

ReputationRep:
    I hate to imagine :talkhand:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Not really :rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.