Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm going sit for EDEXCEL IAL in the coming month. I'm taking the exam as a private candidate and will be taking Bio and Chemistry AS & A2.

I don't have the slightest idea what will be coming for the practical papers for both bio and chem (unit 3& unit6) since I self-studied without any guidance.

I purchased this unit guide, EDEXCEL Biology unit 3, 6 by Ed Lees, but I don't think it'd help me in any way.

Please tell me what to study for the exam for both bio and chem unit 3& 6. Please please. It's urgent.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Katford)
    Hello,
    I'm going sit for EDEXCEL IAL in the coming month. I'm taking the exam as a private candidate and will be taking Bio and Chemistry AS & A2.

I don't have the slightest idea what will be coming for the practical papers for both bio and chem (unit 3& unit6) since I self-studied without any guidance.

I purchased this unit guide, EDEXCEL Biology unit 3, 6 by Ed Lees, but I don't think it'd help me in any way.

Please tell me what to study for the exam for both bio and chem unit 3& 6. Please please. It's urgent.
    I don't have much experience with the Edexcel exam board for these subjects, but I hope I can provide some input to ease your worries.

The guide you brought will only teach you about the potential topics which your specification will cover. I strongly suggest you try to look at the Edexcel specification for those exams to see what types of questions can come up, how the exams will be structured ect. Having a thorough read of the specification for these topics will be vital for your revision and preparation.

Once you've read this, my next recommendation would be to practise and attempt as many past papers on these topics as possible. You can never be too prepared for these practical exams. If you treat them all as mocks, try your best and then mark it yourself using the mark schemes, you should get a good idea of how to give the answer the examiners are looking for. This will improve your exam technique, it will prepare you for the types of questions and how to answer them and it will also allow you to practise completing the exams in the time frame.

From a quick Google search, I found this link which I hope you can access Edexcel resources from: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...l#tab-Studying

This page should also provide some resources the exam board has made available for students: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en.../students.html

Hope this helps. Feel free to quote me if you have any questions or need help with revision!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    I don't have much experience with the Edexcel exam board for these subjects, but I hope I can provide some input to ease your worries.

The guide you brought will only teach you about the potential topics which your specification will cover. I strongly suggest you try to look at the Edexcel specification for those exams to see what types of questions can come up, how the exams will be structured ect. Having a thorough read of the specification for these topics will be vital for your revision and preparation.

Once you've read this, my next recommendation would be to practise and attempt as many past papers on these topics as possible. You can never be too prepared for these practical exams. If you treat them all as mocks, try your best and then mark it yourself using the mark schemes, you should get a good idea of how to give the answer the examiners are looking for. This will improve your exam technique, it will prepare you for the types of questions and how to answer them and it will also allow you to practise completing the exams in the time frame.

From a quick Google search, I found this link which I hope you can access Edexcel resources from: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...l#tab-Studying

This page should also provide some resources the exam board has made available for students: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en.../students.html

Hope this helps. Feel free to quote me if you have any questions or need help with revision!
    Thank you so much for your reply. Actually your advice made me go through the specification carefully, which I had discarded before thinking it was useless. Thanks for that =).

But I still couldn't find as to which particular experiments are recommended for each unit in both chem and bio. When I went through some past papers, it appears there actually is a certain set of experiments allocated for each unit.

Is there any link or something that I can get access to the set of experiments? That'll be really helpful. I'm getting really stressed out because I'm running out of time.

Please help.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Katford)
    Thank you so much for your reply. Actually your advice made me go through the specification carefully, which I had discarded before thinking it was useless. Thanks for that =).

But I still couldn't find as to which particular experiments are recommended for each unit in both chem and bio. When I went through some past papers, it appears there actually is a certain set of experiments allocated for each unit.

Is there any link or something that I can get access to the set of experiments? That'll be really helpful. I'm getting really stressed out because I'm running out of time.

Please help.
    Again, I'm not too sure because I'm unfamiliar with how Edexcel handles these exams. I would assume they won't release the specific details of the experiment until the actual day. I'm sure they will provide you with thorough guidelines on how to do the experiment on the day.

Going through the past papers will give you a good idea of what sort of experiment they will expect you to do, how to record results and analyse your work, and lastly what type of questions they can ask you.

If you are still concerned about the practical exam layout or expectations, you should get in touch with your local exam center or sixth form to inquire about the process. Alternatively, you could get in touch with the exam board directly who should be able to support you

ReputationRep:
    Here is a poll for EDEXCEL AS Biology Unit 3 Core Practicals. Which practical do you guys think might come this session? Any Prediction?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4052093

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.