Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

All My Sons watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm just wondering if anyone can help, I'm part way through writing an English essay at 22:45 on a Sunday night on my two weeks off college - SAD ha!
    I've got to write about the protagonist in Arthur Miller's All My Sons (which is obviously Joe Keller) but it's on the theme of 'Appearance and Reality' and I haven't looked at the book for months and have stupidly left it in college, and can't think of what to write about?
    Can anyone help? No problem if not but thank you in advance if you can! :-) Xxxx

ReputationRep:
    - Joe and his conversation with the young child in the first act. He speaks proudly, promoting the ideas of morality and social justice to the kid, which is later conflicted when the truth is revealed.
    - Joe's death. After 'admitting' the wrongdoings he's done and acting as though he's making his way to the police station, he is unable to cope with reality and kills himself.
    - His constant diversions when the truth comes out. He refuses to accept his wrongdoing and always trying to shift the blame onto anything he can.
    - His level of education. Initially, he comes across as one who's successful without education and understands the world around him, but later his depthless-ness and lack of moral understanding disputes the former.

Is the question specifically on Joe? You're better off talking about Joe and Chris as a way to contrast their different ideas in relation to the given theme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire_and_ice)
    - Joe and his conversation with the young child in the first act. He speaks proudly, promoting the ideas of morality and social justice to the kid, which is later conflicted when the truth is revealed.
    - Joe's death. After 'admitting' the wrongdoings he's done and acting as though he's making his way to the police station, he is unable to cope with reality and kills himself.
    - His constant diversions when the truth comes out. He refuses to accept his wrongdoing and always trying to shift the blame onto anything he can.
    - His level of education. Initially, he comes across as one who's successful without education and understands the world around him, but later his depthless-ness and lack of moral understanding disputes the former.

Is the question specifically on Joe? You're better off talking about Joe and Chris as a way to contrast their different ideas in relation to the given theme.
    I'm still not sure how TSR works but I think I'm replying correctly, honestly thank you so much for that! You've saved me so much time!

You're right though, the question says protagonist(s) as in plural I'm going to have to go back and do it all again, how would you make the contrast between Joe and Chris? I can't remember this book at all, I'm going to have to go back and read it!! X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becklouise)
    I'm still not sure how TSR works but I think I'm replying correctly, honestly thank you so much for that! You've saved me so much time!

You're right though, the question says protagonist(s) as in plural I'm going to have to go back and do it all again, how would you make the contrast between Joe and Chris? I can't remember this book at all, I'm going to have to go back and read it!! X
    Talk about:
    - Differing views on education. Shown when Chris asks for the book section and Joe responds in a somewhat mocking manner. Chris values education and aspires to be someone, whereas, for Joe, it's really not valued.
    - Contrasting views on family. For Joe, family is everything - he has sacrificed and done everything from building a business to war profiteering for the sake of his family. Chris, however, has a more transcendental, or a more objective approach. To him, there are many things beyond family.
    - Views on morality. For Chris, it's a big deal and something he abides by. Whereas, Joe takes a more selfish approach, where everything revolves around him and his family. Again, links to their differing views on family. Then you could also talk about Joe being in denial and Chris taking an objective approach, doing the right thing despite Joe being his father.
    - Ideas on money and success.
    - Ideas on war.

You should tailor the points to fit the question, though. Also, don't confine yourself to only Chris and Joe. There is a great deal to talk about, especially with Joe's wife (don't remember her name).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 11, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.