How come planes don't crash into each other?

Watch this thread
davidguettafan
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Serious question about aeroplanes.

With so many in the sky, how do they all avoid each other? I mean, I know they have radar which tells them when another one comes close but it just seems amazing how it all works

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2281157
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Highly paid air traffic controllers also help
ihatePE
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
the pilots have eyes??
Shiv Loves Maths
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by davidguettafan)

With so many in the sky, how do they all avoid each other? I mean, I know they have radar which tells them when another one comes close but it just seems amazing how it all works

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol were talking about the size of the sky here. There's 360 degrees worth of movement a plane can do to avoid another plane
samina_ay
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
*when you hit the blunt*
User1014865
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guess you missed that episode of Breaking Bad.
username1439610
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
They're guided by ATC. Not to mention every plane ha a Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) installed to warn them of a nearby plane.
Biryani007
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
There are many more birds in the sky, how come they don't crash into eachother? I find that pretty cool...planes are guided...
PossiblyNotGod
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Biryani007)
There are many more birds in the sky, how come they don't crash into eachother? I find that pretty cool...planes are guided...

Bees need to get their **** together.
ihatePE
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by XOR_)
Should have gone to specsavers
It's****ingWOODY
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
They do sonetimes, where do you think thunder & lightning comes from?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 6 years ago
Air traffic control- short youtbe vid here
Biryani007
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by XOR_)

Bees need to get their **** together.
They give us honey, we can let them off..
davidguettafan
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I see, completely forgot about Air Traffic Control lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
M14B
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Right on!
William Pitt
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HamzahPatel)
Highly paid air traffic controllers also help
(Original post by qasim_96)
They're guided by ATC. Not to mention every plane ha a Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) installed to warn them of a nearby plane.
(Original post by 999tigger)
Air traffic control- short youtbe vid here

Posted from TSR Mobile
What university degree / qualification is needed for Air Traffic Control? I think the job is kind of nice
username2281157
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by William Pitt)
What university degree / qualification is needed for Air Traffic Control? I think the job is kind of nice
info on the job and requirements: https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ontroller.aspx

more info and where to apply: http://www.nats.aero/careers/trainee.../how-to-apply/
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 6 years ago
Entry requirementsYou will need an air traffic control licence to become a fully qualified controller, which you can gain by completing an approved training course, for example through National Air Traffic Services (NATS).
To do a trainee controller's course, you must:
  • be at least 18 years old when you apply (a full licence is only issued at age 20 or over)
  • be eligible to work in the UK
  • have a minimum of five GCSEs (grades A*-C), including English and maths
- See more at: https://nationalcareersservice.direc....dLnUzrXH.dpuf
Schleigg
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Commercial traffic flies in the Airways, which are essentially set routes through the sky, which look like this:

Before taking off, each aircraft submits a flight plans to ATC which details their intended routing, speed, and the height at which they intend to fly. ATC (with the help of a large computer to plot the various different routes all the aircraft are taking) will then either give them a take-off window in time to allow them to slot into a gap in the airways or they'll give them some directions to fly once they've taken off to enable them to slot in to a space. Then as long as they continue to fly as planned nothing should come near anything else and everyone is happy.

In a nutshell :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.43%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.1%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.95%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.62%

Watched Threads