Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

do you see a lot of things differently now you are older watch

ReputationRep:
    as a grown adult I look back on my childhood and things that happened in the past like things at school and things with my parents and view them completely now that I am an adult. Does anyone else get this

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I mostly look back and realise how petty/insignificant a lot of the drama from school was.

ReputationRep:
    I look down on boobs whereas I used to look up to them when I was smaller/younger.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes, like the amount of sexual innuendos that were in kids movies/shows.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do too

ReputationRep:
    Yea, this sums up my adult world view
    http://www.rememberaaronsw.com/image...agan-quote.jpg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Yes. I mostly look back and realise how petty/insignificant a lot of the drama from school was.
    Yea, totally agree. Though I did try to stay away from most of the drama, I remember being so hung up about pettish rumours/gossip in school. I swear, students were so excited about fights. Now looking back it was totally pointless. Everyone has moved on with their different lives and pathways.
    Because I'm only 18- I'll probably see now as how I see then currently, once I'm like 24. If that makes sense. Basically, it's amazing how much people can grow/become aware of life with experience and a few years.

Yes. I seem to be able to look at the bigger picture and offer advise being able to understand situations more than I would when I was younger. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Everyone does...

they have more sense. They start to understand themselves and their surroundings

I see the world very differently now than i do when I was 11

ReputationRep:
    I remember when I first went to secondary school, when I looked at the balcony, I'd see the railings. Then I was able to see over the railings and actually see out ahead. Now I don't even see school.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I am especially like that with the view of looking back to my school days and realising I should have pushed myself harder and not let trivial things annoy me as much as it did then. I regret that now that I'm older.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    Yea, this sums up my adult world view
    That was... beautiful.
    So accurate with so much logic yet so abstract, tender and poetic. I'm properly not making any sense but love it. Saved it on my desktop. If you have any more, please share <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    That was... beautiful.
    So accurate with so much logic yet so abstract, tender and poetic. I'm properly not making any sense but love it. Saved it on my desktop. If you have any more, please share <3
    It's also the best argument for God in existence.

'Oops, forgot that spec of dust had people who suffered on it'

'Lol kids are DYING in AFRICA bahahaha my bad'

ReputationRep:
    yes.. the biggest changes for me came when I left university.. and then another big change when I left england to live abroad.

Leaving university for work was a huge change.. you quickly look back and see how rediculous and childish the 'university bubble can be' - I would happily argue that most students more closely resemble teenagers then adults in the way they deal with each other, deal with problems, and act.

Leaving england was also huge, as honestly having that distance and a comparison has really improved my critical questioning of england/western society.. its always easiest to gain perspective and understand a situation when you have distance from that situation.

ReputationRep:
    Like day and night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    yes.. the biggest changes for me came when I left university.. and then another big change when I left england to live abroad.

Leaving university for work was a huge change.. you quickly look back and see how rediculous and childish the 'university bubble can be' - I would happily argue that most students more closely resemble teenagers then adults in the way they deal with each other, deal with problems, and act.

Leaving england was also huge, as honestly having that distance and a comparison has really improved my critical questioning of england/western society.. its always easiest to gain perspective and understand a situation when you have distance from that situation.
    Could you explain?

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm only 17 but I do think I'm old enough to judge my younger self although some people *cough* MrDystopia *cough* don't agree :grumble: :kiss:

But yeah as a young z33 many stupid little things mattered to me that, I've realised now, shouldn't have
    I also went through quite a bunch of **** and came out the other side a more mature (yes - I CAN be mature #shocker) (albeit broken) individual
    And I developed a weird/ darker sense of humour, and I also like to laugh at everything and everyone because well... laughter is the best medicine

Life used to be like
    http://riannederoo.files.wordpress.c...peter-pan2.jpg

and now it's like
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1324/1...7768e82e_b.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virgili)
    Could you explain?
    Its similar to how easy it is to solve other peoples problems. Your friend tells you their relationship problems, and to you it seems so simple.. but to them, stuck in the moment the answer is unclear.

An example Ill give is the problems with young people and housing in england..

Spoiler:
    Show
    When I lived in england, working full-time after graduating, I took it as being completely normal, that I would need to save 20k, then take out a mortgage for the majority of my life, and consider myself lucky to be able to be on the housing ladder, and a privileged to be burdened with a dept, that many cant afford to take out. I knew that it was not a good situation, but it was the reality of my life and something I took as a just a regular part of life: save for a deposit, buy a mortgage, pay the debt for 30 years. Job done: house.

Then I moved to a country where it is traditional for a family to provide, or strongly help their children to purchase their first house, in any way they can.. For many this means to actually buy it for them when they get married, for others it means to contribute what ever they can, if they are not in the financial position to afford another house. Over here they cant understand why my family, considering my parents finaces have not already tried to give me a house.. so I explain that in england house prices are much higher then here.. and they ask why? I say that well, because we have more demand then there is supply.. they ask why? Well, because we do not build enough houses? they ask why.. young people need houses, its a key part of life.. why? I say that in truth its because restricting the suply of houses works out brilliantly for those with power.. older generations benefit hugely from a lack of new houses: their property increases in value, and they retain thier beautiful countryside.. its a complete win-win for them..

To that people over here asked: yes, but caring for your children/family is far more important then your own circumstances..

And as a result my view of the situation is re-framed:

What felt very normal in England: take out a mortgage, buy a house, pay it back for 25 years. Now feels like a complete injustice.. the result of a generation that does not care for future generations and has caused a complete imbalance in life by restricting the construction of new houses whilst actively pushing for an increased population..

Im sure many people were this critical of england, whilst living in the country.. but for me it took comparison and distance, to truely turn me into a strong critic

ReputationRep:
    I am not afraid of other people anymore, only myself.

ReputationRep:
    I see most people now as just "filler". Just there to give the illusion of a highly populated earth but in reality only a few have something between the ears.

I used to think people were smart, now I think they're all complete morons.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.