Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so first of all hi! Im currently studying A-level biology at sixth form, and if I'm completely honest I've been really lazy for my first 6 months of starting (I'm in my first year) and now I'm in a panic because I have upcoming exams in a few months & I'm unsure if I fail im going to be kicked off my course! I really want to be a dental hygienist & for that I need the biology a level I'm so worried, but does anyone know/ or has anyone been able to retake the year of biology & go in for it again or with any other A level? Is there hope?☹ please give me your advice, thanks...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Holly589)
    Ok so first of all hi! Im currently studying A-level biology at sixth form, and if I'm completely honest I've been really lazy for my first 6 months of starting (I'm in my first year) and now I'm in a panic because I have upcoming exams in a few months & I'm unsure if I fail im going to be kicked off my course! I really want to be a dental hygienist & for that I need the biology a level I'm so worried, but does anyone know/ or has anyone been able to retake the year of biology & go in for it again or with any other A level? Is there hope?☹ please give me your advice, thanks...
    First of all, welcome to TSR. I hope you find it useful here in the future

My advice would be to revise, re-learn the course from the beginning and try your best to get prepared for your upcoming exams. You can still make a U turn and get back on track with your studies. Ask your teacher for help, for past papers to practise with, and ask them to mark some revision work you've done. A lot of people have done the same, been lazy, but the first year exams are a lot easier than the second year exams so you'll have to work hard in these next few months. You can also get a lot of help with your studies on here if you get stuck!

If you are entirely convinced it is too late to make up the workload in time for your exam, there is a good chance they will not allow you to continue onto the second year. That is if you get very poor grades. If you get a fairly good grade such as a C, you should be allowed to continue and you can always do resists during your second year to make up some lost UMS. Otherwise, if you do fail your exams, they will probably not allow you to continue since you will struggle a lot next year.

However, in some circumstances (usually exceptional, but I'm not well informed) some sixth forms or colleges do allow you to resist the entire year. I am unaware of the selection criteria for this or how they determine which students they allow to resist the year. You would have to get in contact with your sixth form or college for more information. I personally would advise against this action since you will have to explain to universities or potential employers why you had to resit the entire year, which could become tricky.

Hope this helps, feel free to quote me if you have any questions

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for your reply! I'll take your advice and will speak to the head of science at my sixth form, hopefully I should be able to scrape a C if I revise hard enough from now, as my sixth form are quite laid back and I may even get through with a D 😳 anyway thanks again massive help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.