Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i just wanted to see what people would advise me to go with, out of the two degrees i thinking of applying to, for the year 2017.

Let me just say, i have a interest in both(obviously) i'm just not sure as to which one of the two would have a more benefit ( job wise) in the future. I understand Law is a very good degree, however at the same time, graduates that goes into the legal sector is what? 20% and has been declining over the years ( read it somewhere.)

Where-as a degree within Marketing/Business isn't seen as strong, despite there being many job prospects especially within Sheffield ( where i am atm.) But as we know, it could all change by the time i graduate.

So really which i benefit more from, on the long run?

ReputationRep:
    If you're not interested in the law, then don't study for a Law degree. It's as simple as that.

You won't do as well academically, since you won't be motivated to engage with the course material and do the work.

It saddens me so much that young people are choosing their degree programmes mechanically based on league tables and starting salaries, and not based on what they actually want to do.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Do the one you think you will enjoy. Work experience might help you. Law is very competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    If you're not interested in the law, then don't study for a Law degree. It's as simple as that.

You won't do as well academically, since you won't be motivated to engage with the course material and do the work.

It saddens me so much that young people are choosing their degree programmes mechanically based on league tables and starting salaries, and not based on what they actually want to do.
    If you'd read what i said, then you'd understand that i said i'm interested in both. And quite frankly what i can see myself doing. That doesn't mean that i shouldn't be taking salaries into consideration as that is important too...well for the future that is.

ReputationRep:
    Do the one you enjoy most. But, how do you decide on what you enjoy?

For the law side of things, I'd suggest getting one or two of the introductory books for law (stuff like "The Law Machine", "Letters from a Law student", "What about Law?" , and see whether you're interested in the subject matter and the issues being raised in general. Would you like studying stuff like that for the next three years of your life? If yes, then try getting into slightly more advanced beginner material - certain chapters of "Learning the Law" are quite technical and densely written, and, if your uni does a mandatory Jurisprudence module, "Law: Key Concepts in Philosophy" is a nice way of easing yourself into the nitty gritty of legal theory.

If you're not willing to pay for any books, reading legal journals on recent cases. I used this website when looking for free content online: https://www.accesstolaw.com/general-...egal-journals/ . If you don't want to search even that, try the Guardian's "Law" section online (http://www.theguardian.com/law) - again, basic, layman-friendly articles on current affairs. If you want to get a feel of what reading statutes is like, you could always try http://www.legislation.gov.uk/, and searching for random keywords.

The point is that looking at long-term prospects is useless at this stage if you haven't determined what you enjoy. Since you're year 12, you have a good 5-6 months before starting to put together an application on the UCAS website and finalising uni/course choices - use that time productively to determine where your interests lie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dann.It)
    Hello, i just wanted to see what people would advise me to go with, out of the two degrees i thinking of applying to, for the year 2017.

Let me just say, i have a interest in both(obviously) i'm just not sure as to which one of the two would have a more benefit ( job wise) in the future. I understand Law is a very good degree, however at the same time, graduates that goes into the legal sector is what? 20% and has been declining over the years ( read it somewhere.)

Where-as a degree within Marketing/Business isn't seen as strong, despite there being many job prospects especially within Sheffield ( where i am atm.) But as we know, it could all change by the time i graduate.

So really which i benefit more from, on the long run?
    Hi there!
    I'm Jess and I'm a first year student studying marketing at Bournemouth University. Law is a degree that will be very specific to Law and from what I know from my friend studying Law is that you have to do a lot of things after University to get a good law job. I'm not too sure about Law, however Marketing I know has around 80% of graduates who get into employment straight after graduation. Also, my marketing course incorporates Law which may be of interest to you!

If you have any more questions feel free to ask! - Jess

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.