Biology degree without chemistry A-level?!

Watch this thread
blooptop
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Now, before you ask, I have been reading a lot of TSR forums on the matter which may have exaggerated my worries, but there seems to be a consensus that taking chemistry at A-level as well as biology is the 'usual' and recommended thing to do, especially if you want to pursue biology at a top university.

Personally I'm more interested in the ecological/zoological/evolutionary side than biochemistry or molecular biology, but will the lack of chemistry reflect oddly/badly on my uni applications? Will I have to get higher grades in my other subjects (probably maths + geography) to compensate for its lack?

Aaargh the internet makes things so easy to worry about >:/ please leave any thoughts/advice below! °~° :]
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Unless it's stated in the entry requirements it isn't needed.
blooptop
Rep:
Just popping this question back to the top of the 'recent' list:

What would the people of TSR recommend as a fourth AS to go with the subjects above?
rosieridleyx
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
To do any degree level science you need to have at least 2 A level sciences. One in the degree subject and another
blooptop
Rep:
(Original post by rosieridleyx)
To do any degree level science you need to have at least 2 A level sciences. One in the degree subject and another
Thanks for the reply - I'm thinking of taking maths through to A2 alongside my favourite science (biology) as well as geography which counts as a second science for biology at quite a few unis, but taking physics or chemistry as my fourth would give me the option to drop it after AS if I hated it; which of the two (if either) would you recommend choosing?
Firefly13
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hello

I was in your position four years ago so hopefully I can help. I took Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology at AS Level and dropped Chemistry for A2 (and ended up taking Religious Studies for AS in Year 13, it was a weird situation!). I was worried it would make things harder when I applied for Biology at university, but I just hated it so much I knew I couldn't carry on. I got offers from everywhere I applied to (Bath, Southampton, Nottingham [for two different courses] and Imperial) so it definitely doesn't stop you from getting offers.

I ended up going to Imperial and I'm in my second year studying Biology now. I've never found not having Chemistry A Level has made anything more difficult for me. At the start of the first year it would take me a bit longer to get some of the concepts than my friends who had Chemistry to A Level, but I don't think there's any difference now. Most people I know have a Chemistry A Level, but it's not unusual not to so don't worry about being the odd one out.

If I were you I would do Biology, Maths, Geography and Chemistry at AS Level. If you don't like Chemistry then don't worry about dropping it.

Good luck!
blooptop
Rep:
(Original post by Firefly13)
Hello

I was in your position four years ago so hopefully I can help. I took Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology at AS Level and dropped Chemistry for A2 (and ended up taking Religious Studies for AS in Year 13, it was a weird situation!). I was worried it would make things harder when I applied for Biology at university, but I just hated it so much I knew I couldn't carry on. I got offers from everywhere I applied to (Bath, Southampton, Nottingham [for two different courses] and Imperial) so it definitely doesn't stop you from getting offers.

I ended up going to Imperial and I'm in my second year studying Biology now. I've never found not having Chemistry A Level has made anything more difficult for me. At the start of the first year it would take me a bit longer to get some of the concepts than my friends who had Chemistry to A Level, but I don't think there's any difference now. Most people I know have a Chemistry A Level, but it's not unusual not to so don't worry about being the odd one out.

If I were you I would do Biology, Maths, Geography and Chemistry at AS Level. If you don't like Chemistry then don't worry about dropping it.

Good luck!
Thank you for the advice! It's great to hear from someone who's studying biology at uni without having taken chem, and congratulations on getting into Imperial!
user13892849
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Firefly13)
Hello

Good luck!
Hi, i know you wrote this ages ago but i was wondering if you had to do biochemistry as one of your required modules in your biology degree in year 1?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.6%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (68)
53.97%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.97%

Watched Threads