Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering studying PPE but I'm unsure of whether I'd be interested in philosophy. Does anyone have any suggestions of any books (ideally ones that are likely to be found in a public library) to get a rough idea of what the subject is like?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyledean99)
    I'm considering studying PPE but I'm unsure of whether I'd be interested in philosophy. Does anyone have any suggestions of any books (ideally ones that are likely to be found in a public library) to get a rough idea of what the subject is like?
    Thanks.
    Hello,

I applied to PPE this year, I would highly recommend What Does it All Mean by Thomas Nagel. It is a very short (100 pages) introduction to philosophy that explains the basic and most common issues in philosophy.

Also if you are considering PPE I would recommend Introduction to Political Philosophy by Jonathan Wolf. It is a very useful book to let you understand the links between philosophy and politics. Many PPE or Politics students tend to use this book as a beginning to understand the Philosophy behind politics. (B.S. its about 250 pages so wouldn't take long to read).

ReputationRep:
    Anthony Grayling's (editor) _Philosophy 1: A Guide Through the Subject_. 'The first part of the book deals with the foundations of philosophical enquiry: epistemology; philosophical logic; methodology; metaphysics; and the philosophy of mind. The second part offers four historical chapters, two on ancient and two on modern philosophy, introducing great thinkers from the past, explaining and discussing their ideas, and showing the value of studying them today. The third part comprises two chapters devoted to questions of value, in ethics and aesthetics. Full annotated bibliographies are provided at the ends of chapters to serve as guides to further reading.'

ReputationRep:
    In terms of what might be available in most public libraries, those 'Little Introduction' books could be a good place to start, and from there you could branch out into other areas that spark your interest.

ReputationRep:
    problems in philosophy by bertrand russel is the best

ReputationRep:
    ignore anything that discusses continental philosophy and anything that's too historical. You need to learn how to reason, not facts of historical interest.

ReputationRep:
    Human Kindness and the Smell of Warm Croissants: An Introduction to Ethics by Ruwen Ogien is a great book to get started on with ethics - presents arguments that most people would understand and has a glossary at the back with a short paragraph explaining each of the philosophical terms. It poses a series of 19 thought experiments which really get you into the habit of thinking and looking at such problems from all sides.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.