The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
imasillynarb
Why?:biggrin:

I thought york gave higher offers, something like ABB, but nevermind :biggrin:

good luck with chem
Reply 41
The way to do that was to consider the horizontal and vertical components of the dust particle. Since It was in an electric field it experienced a horizontal force F=vq/d this force causes acceleration horizontally..so an acceleration is caused (f=ma)
since s=ut+0.5at^2
and the distance from dust particle to edge was 2m. You sub in 2for S
and the acceleration u got previously. This will give u time it takes for particle to reach edge (t). Since it is going up with a constant vertical velocity.. u say distance=speed X time. (basically, if the particle takes time to reach edge.. there must be an edge left when it gets there) therefore the distance travelled in the time it takes to get there has to equal minimum length of plates

2.1m approx
Reply 42
Wings
The way to do that was to consider the horizontal and vertical components of the dust particle. Since It was in an electric field it experienced a horizontal force F=vq/d this force causes acceleration horizontally..so an acceleration is caused (f=ma)
since s=ut+0.5at^2
and the distance from dust particle to edge was 2m. You sub in 2for S
and the acceleration u got previously. This will give u time it takes for particle to reach edge (t). Since it is going up with a constant vertical velocity.. u say distance=speed X time. (basically, if the particle takes time to reach edge.. there must be an edge left when it gets there) therefore the distance travelled in the time it takes to get there has to equal minimum length of plates

2.1m approx

That sounds right, what did you get for t, 1.3?
Reply 43
elpaw

good luck with chem

I think theyre starting to go that way, now that theyre like, top 10 overall in the league tables/pretty high up on the physics tables/average candidate points is 25 or something theyre giving higher and higher offers :rolleyes:
Reply 44
lol.. cant remember.. if u can remember how fast the dust particle was travelling vretically i cud prob work it out backwards
Reply 45
elpaw

good luck with chem

There's quite a lot of Physics Courses at York, and if I remember correctly, one course for straight Physics gives out higher offers than the other - Maybe because its a longer degree (4 year) or something.

I think one gives ABB or even AAB, whereas the other gives BBB.
Reply 46
One of my friends has a EE offer to do physics at Cambridge.

Im so proud of her!!!

Everybody loves her.lol
Reply 47
Wings
lol.. cant remember.. if u can remember how fast the dust particle was travelling vretically i cud prob work it out backwards

0.8 vertically
Reply 48
Checkey
There's quite a lot of Physics Courses at York, and if I remember correctly, one course for straight Physics gives out higher offers than the other - Maybe because its a longer degree (4 year) or something.

I think one gives ABB or even AAB, whereas the other gives BBB.

Mphys gives ABB, BSc gives BBB. I would of applied for Mphys but my AS grades were nowhere near good enough to get an offer for that, so I thought Id just change after the first year :wink:
Reply 49
Wings
One of my friends has a EE offer to do physics at Cambridge.

Im so proud of her!!!

Everybody loves her.lol

Is she hot?
Reply 50
I believe so : )
anyone got a copy of the paper then? i no some ppl have them from maths etc?
Reply 52
rockindemon
anyone got a copy of the paper then? i no some ppl have them from maths etc?

I might be able to get one tomorrow, Ill speak to my Physics teacher after my chem exams..
Reply 53
U dont actually write on the maths papers so u can take em with you after the exam whereas you actually DO work on the physics papers so u have to hand it in.. i doubt anyone will have it.
Reply 54
imasillynarb
I might be able to get one tomorrow, Ill speak to my Physics teacher after my chem exams..

Is it me or does 58/100 to get an A seem very low? I'm sure I had a look on AQA mark boundaries etc and it was usually much higher to get an A.

Guess last year's and this year's were hard?
no i think for the past few papers they have been around 50% +- 10%
Reply 56
Checkey
Is it me or does 58/100 to get an A seem very low? I'm sure I had a look on AQA mark boundaries etc and it was usually much higher to get an A.

Guess last year's and this year's were hard?

Thats an easy paper apparantly, I think January this year(or last) You only need 52/100 to get an A. I think this years paper will be about 55 for an A..
Reply 57
imasillynarb
Thats an easy paper apparantly, I think January this year(or last) You only need 52/100 to get an A. I think this years paper will be about 55 for an A..

OK, good luck.
Reply 58
No.. if you goto the AQA website itself it has all the examiners reports of the past papers.. its all around 56/58 for an A. We made our teachers check :smile:
Reply 59
Checkey
OK, good luck.

Did you do the paper?

Latest

Trending

Trending