Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Redox half equation / transition metal / Mass spect Question Watch

ReputationRep:
    just ask a question , do we always need to include ligand in variable oxidation state in half equation .
    We know that transition metal form different ligand due to their environment .
    In the book
    Cr in OH Environment oxidize and form CrO42- ion the akali condition
    Do you need to include (OH)6 ligand in the half equation . In the book , they didnt include the OH ligand on the Chromium ion but from the online resources i found
    they include the OH6 ligand on the chromium ion.
    Half equation for oxdize of the Cr3+ on internet
    (Cr(OH)6)3- + 2OH- --> CrO42- + 4H2o + 3e-
    on the book for redox equation of Cr3+
    2Cr3+ + 10OH- + 3H2o2 ---> 2CrO42- +8H2o

Moreover , if there is a question asking mass of Cr(H2o)6 ligand , do you always include the mass of the water in the mass/molar mass equation ?
    In that way , if you didnt include the ligand in your equation , is it still right ?

For a mass Spect Question

Does all bond can be break in mass spectrometer ? We said the high peak of the diagram always showing the stable ion . I read from the book , the most stabliest ion will have a higher carbocation . However ,
    For example :
    CH3CH2CH2OH , why does Ch2OH have the highest abundance peak ?
    But not Ch3Ch2 or Ch2Ch2OH . I dont really get carbon mass spect stuff can someone explain to me ?
    What kind of bond can we break in mass spect

ReputationRep:
    please help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.