Turn on thread page Beta

Need AAA but predicted AAB? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I want to do English at uni, but all the places I'm interested in going to (york, cardiff, exeter. etc) nhave made it clear that although their prospectuses say AAB, they only make offers to people predicted straight A's. So would it be pointless in me applying with AAB? (the B is in geog)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Basically, I want to do English at uni, but all the places I'm interested in going to (york, cardiff, exeter. etc) nhave made it clear that although their prospectuses say AAB, they only make offers to people predicted straight A's. So would it be pointless in me applying with AAB? (the B is in geog)
    You have 6 choices to fill in on your UCAS form. Choose your favourite unis out of these then search for some unis which you'd like but which give AAB-ABB grades as a backup. It can't hurt to stick some of these top unis down. Besides, the most influential things will be your AS grades. It may be best to wait until then to make your decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    It certainly isn't pointless applying with AAB predicted grades and a good personal statement, but having AAA would be an advantage. I'd wait until you know your AS results, as these will have a major influence on the predicted grades. Then try to discuss the problem with your Geography teacher and see whether they'd be willing increase their prediction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I'm not trying to be cynical - but think about the motives of the admissions tutors: they get ridiculously high numbers of applicants for very few places on their English courses - there may be some truth in what they are saying, but it would make their job easier if they could turn away people (even at an open day).

Make no mistake, English courses are very competitive and at institutions such as the ones you have mentioned, a high proportion of entrants will have AAA. That is not to say that with a good PS, teacher reference, nice UMS in English Lit/Lang AS and decent GCSEs in English and English Lit (and a good general GCSE profile) you won't stand a chance of an offer. If you feel that you are up to the demands of the course, have a great desire for it and a sound academic background - apply.

ReputationRep:
    Just butter the geography teacher up to give you an A. It'll be easier if he's a man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Just butter the geography teacher up to give you an A. It'll be easier if he's a man.
    I preferred my wording!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Dont be silly, I applied to york with AS Grades BBD and they still gave me an offer. Not everything is about grades, they look at all areas of your application, if youre a strong candidate theyll give you an offer with pretty much any grades..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Not it wouldnt be pointless though it would be dependant on the quality of your EC activities/PS and ref as well as the comparitive quality of competing applicants.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I got CE in my ASs and the required grades for Sheffield Uni were BBC... They still gave me an offer!! I did have a good PS behind me, and some experience, which helps.
    But saying that im pretty sure its not one of their most popular courses

If its where you want to go and the course you want to do put it down.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for all your replies. I don't think my AS results will be going down on my form, because what about if I want to retake some units? I don't think I can change my geography teacher's mind about my grade, he said he won't change anyones. I think I did quite badly in geog AS too (well not badly, but prob not an A) so that won't help. I'm so annoyed because I really should have worked harder this year. I really really really want to do ENglish at uni!

(Original post by ~Sam~)
    I don't think my AS results will be going down on my form, because what about if I want to retake some units?
    Then you resit them, aggrigating your AS grades does not prevent you from resitting AS modules that contribute to your A2 grade. The only time you would not want to aggrigate is when you are dropping a subject after AS and want to resit some modules. Other than that there is no reason why you shouldn't decalre your AS grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I don't think I can change my geography teacher's mind about my grade, he said he won't change anyones.
    So he is a man. Excellent.

(Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    So he is a man. Excellent.
    The thread starter may actually have a moral code (unlike myself) so what your thinking is probably not an option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Then you resit them, aggrigating your AS grades does not prevent you from resitting AS modules that contribute to your A2 grade. The only time you would not want to aggrigate is when you are dropping a subject after AS and want to resit some modules. Other than that there is no reason why you shouldn't decalre your AS grades.
    But if I retake them it will be becuase the grades aren't good enough. Which surely means it would be better not to declare them on the form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Hey, thanks for all your replies. I don't think my AS results will be going down on my form, because what about if I want to retake some units? I don't think I can change my geography teacher's mind about my grade, he said he won't change anyones. I think I did quite badly in geog AS too (well not badly, but prob not an A) so that won't help. I'm so annoyed because I really should have worked harder this year. I really really really want to do ENglish at uni!
    Dont you have to put your AS grades down? So that the unis can actually make you an offer in the first place??

ReputationRep:
    The thread starter may actually have a moral code (unlike myself) so what your thinking is probably not an option.
    Pffft. Who needs morals when you could be degrading yourself with a geography teacher ?

ReputationRep:
    lol... i dunno whether it was what i'm thinking (although i doubt it as mine is just too rude)... but yeh i persuaded my maths teacher to predict me an A *kills herself laughing at the idea*... but you may get a shock if you do that too much and one of your unis ends up specifying an A in maths :cool:

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_the_nun)
    Dont you have to put your AS grades down? So that the unis can actually make you an offer in the first place??
    No - not if your school doesn't certificate them.

If you don't, and instead put down 'pending' for your AS grades - then the university will make you an offer based mainly on predicted grades, personal statement, teacher reference and other things like GCSEs.

My school (a v. good one) does not certificate the AS-level results and everybody puts 'pending' down - you are not at a disadvantage. Apparently it looks good if you score particularly high UMS to mention them in your PS and the teachers will invariably comment on them in the teacher reference: the university admissions tutors also know which schools tend to certificate, and which ones don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_the_nun)
    no, unless it is certificated (ie. only done to AS and not continued to A2)- your predicted grades for A2 is what they base their offers on, although your ASs may be mentioned in your reference.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    No - not if your school doesn't certificate them.

If you don't, and instead put down 'pending' for your AS grades - then the university will make you an offer based mainly on predicted grades, personal statement, teacher reference and other things like GCSEs.

My school (a v. good one) does not certificate the AS-level results and everybody puts 'pending' down - you are not at a disadvantage. Apparently it looks good if you score particularly high UMS to mention them in your PS and the teachers will invariably comment on them in the teacher reference: the university admissions tutors also know which schools tend to certificate, and which ones don't.
    Yeah that's what I thought. I don't think my school certifies them either

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.