Turn on thread page Beta

Need AAA but predicted AAB? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Basically, I want to do English at uni, but all the places I'm interested in going to (york, cardiff, exeter. etc) nhave made it clear that although their prospectuses say AAB, they only make offers to people predicted straight A's. So would it be pointless in me applying with AAB? (the B is in geog)
    Hey, I was in a similar situation when I was applying to unis to do English lit, I was predicted AAAB in English History Geography and Theatre Studies and wanted to apply to Nottingham, Warwick, Durham, York, Southampton and Birmingham. On the Nottingham open day they were very up front and said that although they ask students to achieve AAB in their A levels, they won't even consider anyone with less than AAA predictions. Exeter I know asks students to achieve AAA for English (cheeky sods, I thought) and therefore it stands to reason they might only consider those with predictions of AAA. The top unis can afford to do this, as a huge number of students applying for English have AAA predictions, and they can therefore take the creme de la creme.

To give my two pennies worth, I wanted to carry on with theatre studies (in which I was predicted a B) and drop geography (in which I was predicted an A) but ultimately decided to continue with geography so I would have predicted grades of AAA, and could therefore apply to the unis I wanted to. Even then, I got rejected by Warwick, Nottingham and York.

You really do need to think carefully about where you apply with AAB, because although they are really good predicted grades, you don't want to waste a space on your UCAS form by applying somewhere that will automatically reject you. Is there anything on your Personal Statement that will make you stand out?

Hope that helps a bit, any questions please PM me

ReputationRep:
    Hey, ditto whats just been said above about the cynicism. I was disapointed this year, n wish one teacher had actually sat me down n told me to be realistic! I have one offer thank God, but last September I can honestly say I thought I'd get loads of offers because I had good grades - but English is just sooooo competative!

I will hopefully be studying Eng lit at Exeter come September, with an offer of ABB. (No insurance tho!) On the Exeter English open day for people who already held offers, most seemed to hold AAA offers, presumably because they were so overwhelmed. I had to get my form in early for Cambridge, but I'm not sure to extent my lower offer is because I got it in in September!

Getting back on track, despite gettin straight A's in lit, psychology, politics, (gen studies), b in French, n takin philosophy up as an extra as this year without droppin anythin, so a total of 5 alevels n an as, I got one offer. Im not perfect, but I was told I had a strong personal-s so it made me fell like a reject!
    In the end my teachers got in touch with the uni to ask y I had no offers, basically Warwick said they wouldn't interview me because they only interviewed AAA candidates and I was predicted AA A/B for French! With hindsight, i should have had an aaa prediction because Iv kept psychology up at nightschool. If that had been on my original application I would have had AAA A/B.....GRRRRRR.
    I also applied to Bristol who said they wouldn't give me an offer because I only wrote 2 paragraphs about why I love English, (apparently I should have read their PS section on their homepage) n said they didnt want to hear about sporting sucess etc, well, you cant please everyone in one statement! They also said by c in gcse sciencs, (bcc in triple award, all other subjects I got a's) had 'severley weakened' any chance I had.
    York and Nottingham just said it was all too competatitive, and Cambridge pooled me but no reinterview.

In short, if you want a competitive uni, your gonna have to fight for it. Although sayin that, my chum cot b's n c's n applied to Essex to do English(local to us) n got in with no probs. So my advice is go for 3 'top' university's, n then 3 that you might realistically want to got to, just incase the worse happens and so you don't feel like a reject like me! God it makes you feel bad when your ucas tracker just says rejected x 5!

x

(Original post by serendipity)

You really do need to think carefully about where you apply with AAB, because although they are really good predicted grades, you don't want to waste a space on your UCAS form by applying somewhere that will automatically reject you.
    Anyone else a bit curious about this little sentence?!? If you are predicted AAB for ANY subject then you should have a free pick of almost any university in the country. If the grade requirements state AAB then the university must make a proportion of offers at that level (slightly illegal not to). Nobody should be detered from applying to somewhere with grades like AAB. Particularly at a time when admissions tutors take into account more than just grade it is laughable to suggest that those grades will hinder you in getting onto any course. I'm 100% certain that a great PS and a glowing reference in addition to those grades will make any tutor in the country sit up and take notice. Do you honestly think that a university tutor sits there going though an "automatically" rejecting those with less than AAB. If that is what you think then you have a very low opinion of the whole admissions process.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just so confused now, all this uni stuff is completely stressing me out. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I have been to four open days now, and most of them have besically said that most (if not all) of their offers go to straight A students. Even places like exeter which isn't considered to be one of the "top" unis. I'm just really scared of applying and getting rejected from all six places, I'm really worried now. I know it's because English is so competative, but I want to go to a good uni because I work hard and think I deserve it (but then again so do most other people). There's so much pressure and it's all just getting on top of me

(Original post by ~Sam~)
    I'm just so confused now, all this uni stuff is completely stressing me out. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I have been to four open days now, and most of them have besically said that most (if not all) of their offers go to straight A students. Even places like exeter which isn't considered to be one of the "top" unis. I'm just really scared of applying and getting rejected from all six places, I'm really worried now. I know it's because English is so competative, but I want to go to a good uni because I work hard and think I deserve it (but then again so do most other people). There's so much pressure and it's all just getting on top of me
    These universities can ask for AAA all they want but these simple fact is that they do NOT get all AAA candidates. The averages just a few are given below....

Durham - 27.8 (less than AAB)
    Exeter - 24.6 (little more than BBB)
    Nottingham - 27.7 (again nowhere near this AAA mark people love so much)

...The above selection should demonstrate that these places cannot AFFORD to reject good quality applicants. If we take Notts for example, for every AAA student they accepted, they accepted one with BBB. The admissions people are not stupid, they know a good applicant when they see one and if you are good enough and can produce the evidence to prove it then you will have have no problems in getting offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    These universities can ask for AAA all they want but these simple fact is that they do NOT get all AAA candidates. The averages just a few are given below....

Durham - 27.8 (less than AAB)
    Exeter - 24.6 (little more than BBB)
    Nottingham - 27.7 (again nowhere near this AAA mark people love so much)

...The above selection should demonstrate that these places cannot AFFORD to reject good quality applicants. If we take Notts for example, for every AAA student they accepted, they accepted one with BBB. The admissions people are not stupid, they know a good applicant when they see one and if you are good enough and can produce the evidence to prove it then you will have have no problems in getting offers.
    That's suprising, where did you get them? Do you have any more? I was told my the Notts and Exeter people that they got more AAA candidates than they can places for. Are those figures for actual or precicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)

Apply to Modern Languages courses - BBC here I come

(Original post by ~Sam~)
    That's suprising, where did you get them? Do you have any more? I was told my the Notts and Exeter people that they got more AAA candidates than they can places for. Are those figures for actual or precicted grades?
    The good people at The Times and the full listings are on thier web-site (tried to link it for you but my browser didnt like it :confused: ). They are the actual average grades for entry and give you a much better impression of what is likely to get you in. Bascially if you can better or equal this then they will take your application seriously. They know that ABB students at AS can become AAA for A2 in just the same way those predicated AAA can slip to lower grades. I wouldn't read too much into what a university tells you directly, Durham tried to convince me that they were a leading department in Comp Sci...lol, the guy was quite shocked when I said that I thought I could name about 15 that were better.

(Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    :mad: *Holds back rage*

ReputationRep:
    :mad: *Holds back rage*
    Rage all you wish, I'll still be laughing at you.

I was shocked when I first looked through all the prospectuses about just how unpopular languages are. Even at Cambridge, the average offer is AAB.

I was shocked when I first looked through all the prospectuses about just how unpopular languages are. Even at Cambridge, the average offer is AAB.
    Yeah but I'm technically a language student (programming languages DO count I assume ), so why do we all get stuck with shocking requirements. Still it must be lovely to know that you can coast your A2 year and still dance you lil' ass into a great uni. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Lol, lucky you. I wish I was good enough at languages to do that!

Leekey- thanks for your help and for trying to make me feel better

(Original post by ~Sam~)
    Lol, lucky you. I wish I was good enough at languages to do that!

Leekey- thanks for your help and for trying to make me feel better
    No problem, just don't listen to all those bitter people telling you that AAB is not good enough.

ReputationRep:
    No problem, just don't listen to all those bitter people telling you that AAB is not good enough.
    thanks i'm still worried though. If i get predicted an A is history do you think I should carry on that to A2 and drop geog?

(Original post by ~Sam~)
    thanks i'm still worried though. If i get predicted an A is history do you think I should carry on that to A2 and drop geog?
    Whilst you should probably pick the subjects you are most likely to get the best grades in, I would not pick something that I didn't like for all the wrong reasons (again :rolleyes: ). You should try and consider what you are most likely to succeed in and which you enjoy the most. Hopefully these will lead to the same answer but i they don't you should do what YOU think is best (ignore friends and especially parents!!!).

PS - Great news about Stevie aint it.

ReputationRep:

PS - Great news about Stevie aint it.
    It is indeed I actually started jumping up and down when I found out! I'm so glad he's staying, it shows that money can't be success and that Abramovich can't get everything he wants all the time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Predictions (and A-levels in general) are a game - it is not even about doing what you are passionate about.

You need to be selective about what to continue to A2 and think about it in terms of predicted grades (if you want to attend a competitive course). I find Geography to be an unparalleled chore, but it will get me an A (fingers crossed).

If you get to a situation where you are having to choose between an A grade subject and a B grade subject, as to which you should continue - opt for the higher grade in nearly all instances (barring a total shock).

You need to do yourself as many favours as possible, as admissions tutors will do you very few! Try and get as close to that AAA prediction as possible.

I hate Geography, and was down to do French at the start of the year - but to be honest, Geography is (for me) a certain A, French would be A/B. You cannot be romantic - you need to go for the configuration of grades that will get you closest to AAA. At the end of the day, you need to fend off a hasty admissions tutor - and probably 15-20 people chasing your place!

Remember the following in terms of AS-level predictions:
    - Universities will sometimes state AAB, but a lot of applicants will get AAA predictions.
    - Schools will give people favourable predictions, like it or not, several people will have AAA - whether or not they are capable of achieving it.
    - The A2 average point score is nothing to go on - A2 is much harder and when you factor in that grade requirements increase year on year - it is a bit of a nothing indicator.
    - Strange as it may seem - an AAB offer can be a 'get people through the door' target - aimed at boosting the profile of the course by seemingly allowing AAB standard people to get in. LSE offer ABB for Management - you would be, a lot of the time, silly to apply to a course with 25:1 application/place ratio with ABB prediction - this is at least an AAB course in disguise, if not AAA.

Just bear these things in mind and don't be disappointed if things don't come off. My advice would be to move hell to get that AAA prediction if you can - do not do your favourite subjects, be cold, put in hard graft (if you dislike the subject or find it hard) and look to do subjects where you have 'A' predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    but don't continue with a subject you hate- i did economics last year and got a high A on it, but i hated every moment of the course and found it dull and boring. so i dropped it and continued with philosophy which i had a B in (but i now also think that philosophy is dull and boring)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else a bit curious about this little sentence?!? If you are predicted AAB for ANY subject then you should have a free pick of almost any university in the country. If the grade requirements state AAB then the university must make a proportion of offers at that level (slightly illegal not to). Nobody should be detered from applying to somewhere with grades like AAB. Particularly at a time when admissions tutors take into account more than just grade it is laughable to suggest that those grades will hinder you in getting onto any course. I'm 100% certain that a great PS and a glowing reference in addition to those grades will make any tutor in the country sit up and take notice. Do you honestly think that a university tutor sits there going though an "automatically" rejecting those with less than AAB. If that is what you think then you have a very low opinion of the whole admissions process.
    Leekey what I said was 100% accurate, having had experience of going through the difficult process of applying for English lit, I can tell you that I was told by a number of universities that they do not consider English applicants with predicted grades below AAA. However, they rarely ask for students to achieve AAA (except for Exeter), more regularly asking applicants to achieve AAB or ABB. Therefore for English students with AAB predictions it is advisable to consider very carefully before applying to somewhere like Nottingham, where an admissions tutor told me specifically that they only consider students with AAA predictions.

Do you honestly think that a university tutor sits there going though an "automatically" rejecting those with less than AAB. If that is what you think then you have a very low opinion of the whole admissions process.
    Yes. Because they can afford to. They have the pick of the best.

If the grade requirements state AAB then the university must make a proportion of offers at that level (slightly illegal not to).
    In fact what I said was that they do - it's the PREDICTED GRADES i was talking about.:rolleyes:

Consider, Leekey, that English is a hugely competitive subject and that universities go for the best, BECAUSE THE BEST APPLY.

Sam - If you're a bloke you have a HUUUUUUGE advantage - male English applicants are less plentiful than female. If you're male then you have an excellent chance of getting in wherever you like for English Lit. My (male) friend had predicted grades of ABB (could have been AAB, can't remember) and was accepted to Notts.

Edit: from your profile I see you're not!

ReputationRep:
    Have just re-read this post. ******** to it. :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.