Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by ~Sam~)
    They're all really good unis! How on earth did you get such low offers???
    I got lucky I think, other than that I just made my PS look like a tech sheet and my tutor (decent guy) wrote me a glowing reference. I think it was the reference that did it though (except for Loughborough who remembered me from an departmental open day).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I got lucky I think, other than that I just made my PS look like a tech sheet and my tutor (decent guy) wrote me a glowing reference. I think it was the reference that did it though (except for Loughborough who remembered me from an departmental open day).
    Still, it's very rare that such offers are given! Well done! You turned down all your offers and went through extra though didnt you?

(Original post by ~Sam~)
    Still, it's very rare that such offers are given! Well done! You turned down all your offers and went through extra though didnt you?
    Yeah I did, I like to think of it as making a 7 choice though!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did, I like to think of it as making a 7 choice though!!!
    Lol, how come you changed your mind? What grades do you need now?

(Original post by ~Sam~)
    Lol, how come you changed your mind? What grades do you need now?
    Change of heart about where I wanted to spend 5 year of my life plus some other crap that I can't be bothered to explain. I now need a minimum of BBB but for to get onto the course I would like I will be needing AAA (they might let me off with AAB though)!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, allow me to begin taking apart this little mess of cynicism and negtive experience based twaddle (I'll take it in paragraphs if thats ok).... :rolleyes:

1) What you said was highly based on a synical and bitter view of the entire applications process. I would also question how you aquired the knowledge of the inner workings of the admissions process through simply applying to them. Do honestly believe that universities are going to say things like that and actually mean them?!? I think it is far more likely to be said as a marketing ploy to attract the elité students in any given year group. By suggesting that AAA applicants are the only possible candidates they consider they automatically give students an inflated opinion of the course and university (ie. they will accept ANY offer given to them). If your going to based you knowlegde on the words of admissions tutors then you would believe some very interesting things. You seem to like playing the "English is more competative that almost any other subject" card but unfortunately the statistics show that while yes, it is competative, there are FAR more competative subjects out there. Do you think that applications for those subjects are rejected én mass as you have suggested for english?!? :confused:

2) How many AAA applicants do you think there are in the UK? Take that number and multiply it by something like 0.5 (VERY kind estimate of people taking english), then you should divide that number by 6 (ie. number of uni's). The number you have represents the number of students that an elite group of about 10-15 unis must compete to attract. It is this stat that makes the course competative (not the overwhelming demands placed by uni's). The simple fact is that if top uni's did reject all none AAA applicants, they would find there courses in clearing due to lack of acceptances very quickly. Do the math!!! :rolleyes:

3) I know that you seem to possess this idylic image of the requirements uni's place upon thier applicants and the fierce competition for places but how do you explain the fact that some of the courses you mention are nowhere near AAA (i.e. 30 points) standard?!? Does this mean that uni's ONLY want good predicted grades and don't actually care so much about what you actually achieve?!? Or would you opt for the more likely idea that uni's consider more than just your predicated grades when applying and they actually do make offer to good candiates who are not quite 30 point standard? I know which one is more likley.
    I don't have time to reply to all of your arguement but I would like to reply to your first point. My advice was based on personal experience of having been through the admissions process for English (which I have to point out that you don't have), having watched others do the same, and having been rejected by 3 unis (including Warwick without interview) despite AAA predictions (and before you suggest that it was because of my PS, when my tutor read it she asked why I'd chosen not to apply to Oxbridge).

I was trying to stress, and maybe this didn't come across, that applying for English unfortunately involves a great deal of luck. (a comment which I fully anticipate you contesting). This comment I can justify. A friend of mine was accepted to Oxford to read English, however that was the ONLY offer out of six that she obtained. She was rejected from everywhere else. Therefore, I was attempting to put across that it's advisable to give yourself the best chance possible when applying for English, meaning either applying with AAA predictions, or else thinking very carefully about where you apply.

Do honestly believe that universities are going to say things like that and actually mean them?!?
    Since I have nothing else to go on and am not about to start second guessing admissions tutors, yes.

Ok, allow me to begin taking apart this little mess of cynicism and negtive experience based twaddle
    Actually it isn't based on negative experience at all. It's based on an average experience of applying for English Lit. I know plenty of applicants like me who obtained 3 offers or fewer. I would have thought it was more productive if we were realistic.

You seem to like playing the "English is more competative that almost any other subject" card but unfortunately the statistics show that while yes, it is competative, there are FAR more competative subjects out there. Do you think that applications for those subjects are rejected én mass as you have suggested for english?!?
    Er, yes?! Earth to Leekey! What else are they going to do with all those applicants they can't give offers to?!:rolleyes:

I know that you seem to possess this idylic image of the requirements uni's place upon thier applicants and the fierce competition for places but how do you explain the fact that some of the courses you mention are nowhere near AAA (i.e. 30 points) standard?!?
    This point has already been magnificently explained to you by someone else further down this thread, so I won't go over it again. (Except to say - I really wish you'd read my comments more carefully)

(Original post by serendipity)
    I don't have time to reply to all of your arguement but I would like to reply to your first point. My advice was based on personal experience of having been through the admissions process for English (which I have to point out that you don't have), having watched others do the same, and having been rejected by 3 unis (including Warwick without interview) despite AAA predictions (and before you suggest that it was because of my PS, when my tutor read it she asked why I'd chosen not to apply to Oxbridge).
    Interesting how you feel that simply applying for the subject qualifies you in some way to pass judgement on the process. I would suggest for one second that I could do the same for my subject but apparently you can (make of that what you will). I would never have dreamed of commenting on your PS so your immediate defense of it has only further demonstrated your cynicism.

I was trying to stress, and maybe this didn't come across, that applying for English unfortunately involves a great deal of luck. (a comment which I fully anticipate you contesting). This comment I can justify. A friend of mine was accepted to Oxford to read English, however that was the ONLY offer out of six that she obtained. She was rejected from everywhere else. Therefore, I was attempting to put across that it's advisable to give yourself the best chance possible when applying for English, meaning either applying with AAA predictions, or else thinking very carefully about where you apply.

Since I have nothing else to go on and am not about to start second guessing admissions tutors, yes.
    Funny how this seems MASSIVELY removed from your previous and initial posts. I would have thought that someone with as much English ability as yourself would have been able to use the word "luck" before now if that was infact the intended message. It is this lack of evidence and change of messge and tone that I feel discredits your argument. Again you seem under the impression that AAA is the golden standard and this is NOT TRUE (see further below)!!!

Also, you don't need to second guess anyone. You simply need to understand that universities are not the virtues of truth and purity that they appear. They are as cynical as you or me and they are willing to lie through thier teeth if it means they get the best students and therefore get more funding because of it. If you did believe everything that marketing people said then you would be in a sorry state.

Actually it isn't based on negative experience at all. It's based on an average experience of applying for English Lit. I know plenty of applicants like me who obtained 3 offers or fewer. I would have thought it was more productive if we were realistic.
    Again you have awarded yourself the devine judgement on what quantifies the average experience of the english student. If I were to do the same for everyone who applied for my subject I would believe that the average student recieves 6/6 acceptances and almost half of applicants have sponsorships from business. You cannot honestly believe that your narrow experience actually equate to the average experience for everyone?!? :rolleyes:

Er, yes?! Earth to Leekey! What else are they going to do with all those applicants they can't give offers to?!:rolleyes:

This point has already been magnificently explained to you by someone else further down this thread, so I won't go over it again. (Except to say - I really wish you'd read my comments more carefully)
    My only wish sweetie is that you have ACTUAL READ my comments. If you had done so then you may have seen the numbers I had suggests in terms of applicants for English (which I have checked today and the only one I obviously cannot verfiy is the number of AAA candidates in top 15 unis). Surely after reading them you cannot honestly feel that there are too many incredibly well qualified applicants for too few places. Given that the only university I have spoken to over this has said that they make about twice as many offers as they have places it would seem that the figures I was batting around seem to have been fairly accurate. If you would care to argue in a way other than simple works based on narrow limited experiences then feel free to try and put together some numbers that emphasis your argument a little better. Also you seem to be under the impression that it was the strength of one of your points that mobbdeeprob higlighted, no sweetie it was a flaw in my argument that you had previusly failed to see that was pointed out.

I would like to finish by saying that you really should think before you consider claiming to be an all knowing source of knowledge on this subject. I understand that you have more knowledge than myself but as some with even a small amount of perspective, you must surely understand that your experience is not enough to base actual facts on. I find it completely appualing that you were willing to dicourage anyone in the way that you did. I hope you read mobbdeeprob's post in response to mine and actually thought to yourself that what was written there was a far more balnaced assesement of the situtation that the twisted cynical twaddle that you were ranting.

ReputationRep:
    I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from calling me "sweetie" in that condescending way of yours.

I never claimed to be a source of all knowledge, obviously I can only comment from my own experiences. I was simply passing on well-meaning advice to someone in a similar situation to the one I was in at this point last year. If that offends you then I apologise profusely (you arrogant ****).

I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from calling me "sweetie" in that condescending way of yours.

I never claimed to be a source of all knowledge, obviously I can only comment from my own experiences. I was simply passing on well-meaning advice to someone in a similar situation to the one I was in at this point last year. If that offends you then I apologise profusely (you arrogant ****).
    Aside from our debate and as a mod I would remind you that insulting language of that type should not be used.

I've usually found that the first person to resort to childish name calling in a debate is usually either someone with a weak argument or a weak way of expressing it. Given your ability I don't believe that it is the second one.

ReputationRep:
    Aside from our debate and as a mod I would remind you that insulting language of that type should not be used.

I've usually found that the first person to resort to childish name calling in a debate is usually either someone with a weak argument or a weak way of expressing it. Given your ability I don't believe that it is the second one.
    Fancy! No one expected you to play the mod card!:rolleyes:
    I personally found the degrading and condescending language you used in your arguement insulting. I find it laughable that you debase the points I made simply because I choose not to spend all my time on the internet researching and producing a solid infallable arguement supported by stats.

Just an observation - it's interesting how as an English student I place higher value on personal experience than on statistics, and as a more sciencey type person you are the complete opposite.

I'm sorry if I offended you and I hope we can agree to disagree.

Fancy! No one expected you to play the mod card!:rolleyes:
    I personally found the degrading and condescending language you used in your arguement insulting. I find it laughable that you debase the points I made simply because I choose not to spend all my time on the internet researching and producing a solid infallable arguement supported by stats.

Just an observation - it's interesting how as an English student I place higher value on personal experience than on statistics, and as a more sciencey type person you are the complete opposite.

I'm sorry if I offended you and I hope we can agree to disagree.
    I thank you for the apology and I have the same hope.

PS - I have to play the mod card if you openly swear at anyone. I didnt edit your post because you have a good reputation and I've not seen you do it before.

ReputationRep:
    Just to update (for anyone who cares), I got an A for geography AS so I'm determined to get my prediction changed. The only problem is, my geography teacher has left. Any ideas as to what I should do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Just to update (for anyone who cares), I got an A for geography AS so I'm determined to get my prediction changed. The only problem is, my geography teacher has left. Any ideas as to what I should do?
    You'll get it.

Come and tell me when you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I ausume if your teacher has left, you have a new one- can't he/she change it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    I ausume if your teacher has left, you have a new one- can't he/she change it?
    I guess, but they may be unwilling to change it if they have never taught me before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I guess, but they may be unwilling to change it if they have never taught me before
    Hmm, well the A at AS ought to help. I guess just try to impress them before your ucas form gets sent off. (yeah, my advice sucks, I know)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well the A at AS ought to help. I guess just try to impress them before your ucas form gets sent off. (yeah, my advice sucks, I know)
    No, it doesn't! That's a good idea actually, I keep forgetting that it doesn't have to be sent off for a while, I keep thinking that I have to get everything done really quickly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    No, it doesn't! That's a good idea actually, I keep forgetting that it doesn't have to be sent off for a while, I keep thinking that I have to get everything done really quickly!
    Where are you thinking of applying?

ReputationRep:
    Where are you thinking of applying?
    York, Exeter, Cardiff, maybe Soton, Sheffield, Newcastle...I dunno. There's too many that I like the look of!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    York, Exeter, Cardiff, maybe Soton, Sheffield, Newcastle...I dunno. There's too many that I like the look of!
    What were your UMS for Geog? That should help me tell you whether you have a good case.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.