Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is a question about what the software is like for mac computers. I currently own a macbook pro and have been told that there is software that works but it isn't as good as the windows software is out there. I want to keep to my mac as im a music student and everything i do is mac based however when talking to my university wellbeing they said I should take the windows laptop when offered it but that was up to me as it would mean paying the £200.

I really don't want to shell out the money for a windows laptop due to the fact i have only just upgraded my macbook pro before coming to university and I like to have all my stuff in once place. Whats the dyslexia software like and how do people find using it?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    When you say "Dyslexia software" what software you talking about? Talking in general, (I use Windows and have completely different disabilities) you should be able to find trial versions of software online.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    The Mac version of many softwares can be more expensive for dsa to get for you so best to speak to them about whether they are willing to pay it if you don't switch to Windows.
    I had dragon, read and write and inspiration and also audionotetaker and software for my dictaphone. Personally I would say I used the first two but found the others quite time consuming so stopped using them. I believe read and write and audionotaker offer free trials for you to check them out.

(Original post by AndyJBird)
    This is a question about what the software is like for mac computers. I currently own a macbook pro and have been told that there is software that works but it isn't as good as the windows software is out there. I want to keep to my mac as im a music student and everything i do is mac based however when talking to my university wellbeing they said I should take the windows laptop when offered it but that was up to me as it would mean paying the £200.

I really don't want to shell out the money for a windows laptop due to the fact i have only just upgraded my macbook pro before coming to university and I like to have all my stuff in once place. Whats the dyslexia software like and how do people find using it?

ReputationRep:
    The alternative would be to accept Win 10, and the various windows software, then setup your system as dual boot on your mac pro, in this way you would not have to shell out for another laptop

.That way you retain your MAC but also have access to the windows environment. As an example, adding software like vmware fusion, would give you virtual access to the windows software content whilst in OSX.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.