Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have to pick my GCSE's this week. At my school we have to pick a year early (year 8) and right now I think I am picking Spanish, Health&Social Care, Media Studies & Food Preperation and Nutrition. In my school we do not need to pick a humanity if we pick a language but it is recommended we do it for the Ebacc. My sister has told me I should do history instead of media studies because it would be more useful for me and I don't know if I would enjoy it as much, and I am doing it for 3 years instead of 2. Is a humanity really that important? I think most of my friends are doing both a language and a humanity but I am most intrested in these subjects. for my geography and history I have near enough the same grades (6A, 7C) but if I did geography I wouldn't be able to do food, and if I did history I wouldn't be able to take media. Along with these subjects I'm taking the core English, maths and triple science.

ReputationRep:
    Try to balance your options - you do not want many subjects in the same facility (Health & Social Care and Media Studies), as far as I think. Taking a humanity could be really useful at further education, such as when applying for university. In my opinion, history would be a very good option to take instead of media studies, as it is a more 'facilitating' subject and is regarded highly by universities. As your sister said, it is good if you want to take the Ebacc route too, but Geography would also be not a bad option either. As options, I picked: GCSE History, GCSE Photography and GCSE Statistics. Triple science is excellent too.

ReputationRep:
    Pick GCSEs that will leave your options for A levels but certainly do not pick GCSEs that you find boring but you look good, in the end you will find it too boring and end up not listening! I've just chosen my A levels (Psychology, Sociology, History + Physics). As Sonu said, humanities are good subjects for applying to universities and history is a highly respected subject. I personally took IB Film SL this year and personally I found it really interesting and I can imagine that IB film is pretty close to media studies!

tl;dr - History is a highly respected subject but if you think you'll get extremely bored, don't take it & take media studies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie1975)
    I have to pick my GCSE's this week. At my school we have to pick a year early (year 8) and right now I think I am picking Spanish, Health&Social Care, Media Studies & Food Preperation and Nutrition. In my school we do not need to pick a humanity if we pick a language but it is recommended we do it for the Ebacc. My sister has told me I should do history instead of media studies because it would be more useful for me and I don't know if I would enjoy it as much, and I am doing it for 3 years instead of 2. Is a humanity really that important? I think most of my friends are doing both a language and a humanity but I am most intrested in these subjects. for my geography and history I have near enough the same grades (6A, 7C) but if I did geography I wouldn't be able to do food, and if I did history I wouldn't be able to take media. Along with these subjects I'm taking the core English, maths and triple science.
    I would pick History over Media as I would be more useful and also you would get the ebacc with it. At GCSE History is not the hardest if you listen in class properly, revise and learn exam technique. Two years ago I was in the same position over GCSE German as I hated the subject but today I am the happy I picked it as it was not too hard and also I would be getting the ebacc.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I can't comment on Media because I didn't take it; but there are a lot of transferrable and useful skills in History. I agree with the above - you need to pick something that you enjoy.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.