Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm a British student studying Film in London and have just been offered to study abroad at Goucher College in Baltimore. Was just wondering if it has a good reputation or not?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about good reputation compared to what. It used to be a womens college, with a reputation sort of as a finishing school, where you went to meet someone who had gotten into Johns Hopkins or the Naval Academy. Not sure how your UK school ranks, but it isn't a highly ranked school. That is not say it might not have good instructors and a good environment.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend staying in the UK

Goucher's tuition alone is over $40,000.

Since you can study in the UK for basically free, for $42,000 to make sense , the school needs to be named Stanford or Harvard

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help, my University is ranked middle of the league tables but is fairly high up for my course. As for the tuition fee it wouldn't cost anymore as it does here as its for study abroad. It's a great opportunity as I'd love to eventually work in America, but a difficult one! So I appreciate your help ☺️

ReputationRep:
    If your university is middle rank, Goucher is sort of comparable. I wouldn't worry about how good the school is for semester abroad. The main thing is the experience. Goucher might be an interesting experience.

The school is 3/4 female and used to be all female. H L Mencken gave a talk there in the 1920s called "How to Catch a Husband". It used to be there must have been some kind of training there in saying what you are supposed to say and acting the way you are supposed to act. It probably is less that way now. It is strong in things like film. They have programs in Dance and Historic Restoration.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.