Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR... do you carefully monitor your daily calorie intake? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you monitor your daily calorie intake?
    Yes - I do it to help me lose weight
    24.72%
    Yes - I have to as I need to achieve a minimum amount of calories because I lift (brah)
    13.48%
    No - just gimmy anything and I'll eat it!
    61.80%

ReputationRep:
    If so, why?

Do you follow a fitness routine that requires careful calorie monitoring?

If not, why so?

Really curious as recently I've been setting myself strict limits on how much I should take in each day. 1500 cals has been my target for the last few months and I've noticed weight loss :sogood: (down to 66kg)

Alot of emphasis on the threads here relate to the actual fitness routine (squatting form etc) but is the calorie intake much of a bother?

Also has anyone got good apps to share for keeping track of your food intake?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    If so, why?

If not, why so?

Really curious as recently I've been setting myself strict limits on how much I should take in each day. 1500 cals has been my target for the last few months and I've noticed weight loss :sogood: (down to 66kg)

Alot of emphasis on the threads here relate to the actual fitness routine (squatting form etc) but is the calorie intake much of a bother?

nice poll LOL

no since i'm not to fat but i would like to loose that little bit of puppy fat i carry on my stomach area.

ReputationRep:
    I just eat carefully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    nice poll LOL

no since i'm not to fat but i would like to loose that little bit of puppy fat i carry on my stomach area.

check again brah

ReputationRep:
    check again brah
    it's here .-. looks like 3 ppl myself included don't give one about calorie intake xD

ReputationRep:
    check again brah
    Members of the Community Team should never say "brah". You can't act bad when you're part of the TSR Community Team; the two just can't coexist.

Also, change "gimmy" in the poll to "gimme" because it's annoying me.

ReputationRep:
    myfitnesspal is a good app for keeping track it even lets you scan items
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    No. It's too tedious.

ReputationRep:
    I don't count my calories at all. I have quite an obsessive personality and I fear it would only end in disaster. I also don't feel the need to as my weight stays quite stable with what I'm doing, even though what I eat from week to week varies. When I had to give up all milk and dairy products the bit of excess weight I had in certain areas just dropped off and I'm comfortable with how I am now. I don't eat a lot of sugar at all, drink no fizzy drinks/alcohol, and mainly eat lean meats and fish.

ReputationRep:
    I eat the same foods every day so I just do it in my head. It's just a habit now I suppose, and it's always in the back of my mind whether or not I should or shouldn't eat more. If I had it my way I'd be having 4000+ a day. Well above my maintenance :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't very strictly, but I do it roughly in my head. I used to use myfitnesspal, but I was becoming unhealthily obsessive.

E.g. for breakfast i have:
    Quaker oats (100 calories)
    Soya milk (about 50 calories)
    Raspberries (about 25 calories)
    Almonds (about 35 calories)
    Honey (about 15 calories)

So I had about 235 calories for breakfast.

Then I do lunch and dinner and try not to exceed about 1400.

ReputationRep:
    I do. I monitor mine because I want to gain weight. I consume about 2500 a day (female)

ReputationRep:
    I think most advice here we will say get My Fitness Pal and count, diet is super important. Though with practice you can do it reasonably well in your head but most people do well with tracking to make them think properly about what they eat, at least at first.

I do, even when maintaining. My natural disposition is to eat enough to be built like a twig with occasional days of eating all the food in the world. If I want to achieve anything in particular it goes better if I count. I’m flexible with myself, if I want to go out fort a meal then I do and I don’t worry about calories. If I really want to eat something unplanned than I have it. It’s more about being good most of the time than all the time.

It also means everything is planned for the week so I almost never need to go out shopping during the week, I can prep everything and waste less time cooking and I almost always eat plenty fruit/veg, get enough healthy fats etc. And planning means I don’t waste food which is good for the environment and my wallet.

ReputationRep:
    If so, why?

If not, why so?

I do on my fitbit, much easier than MFP as it shows how many calories ive burned overall
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    When at uni - yes
    When at home - no, because my parents cooking is mainly done off eye, pretty hard to keep track. So I just eat 2 meals a day

(Original post by Davalla)
    Members of the Community Team should never say "brah". You can't act bad when you're part of the TSR Community Team; the two just can't coexist.

Also, change "gimmy" in the poll to "gimme" because it's annoying me.
    U mad brah
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    No - just gimmy anything and I'll eat it

ReputationRep:
    Yep. 2000kcal.

Lots of protein
    Moderate carb
    Low fat

ReputationRep:
    When I had eating-disorder-esque mentality regarding my underweight-ness, I used to use MyFitnessPal on my phone to count my calories. Now, I can't be bothered to do so, due to the amount of homemade stuff I eat, which is hard to populate on the app.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    If so, why?

If not, why so?

I don't really monitor mine - I find that if I eat when I'm hungry I maintain an appropriate mass, I only gain mass when I eat because I'm bored (that stuff that falls outside of term-time:rofl:)

ReputationRep:
    Yes. When I'm bulking I try to ensure I get enough of each macronutrient in so that I can grow properly, but not too much so that I don't put on too much excess fat. When I'm cutting I try and ensure I stay under a certain number of calories, whilst keeping my protein above a certain level to preserve muscle.

Usually in the holidays my tracking slips, since I don't meal prep as much.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 18, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.