Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone recommend any good maths books to prepare me for studying maths at uni this october? I've contacted the maths department but there are about 50 books recommended. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Introductory Mathematics, Algebra and Analysis is a nice introduction to important ideas, good read and quite funny in places.

ReputationRep:
    Ian Stewart's Foundations of Mathematics - I'm really enjoying working through that at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mussed)
    Ian Stewart's Foundations of Mathematics - I'm really enjoying working through that at the moment
    where are you going?

i'm not goin to do any maths again til i get to uni *am such a rebel*

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecksor)
    Introductory Mathematics, Algebra and Analysis is a nice introduction to important ideas, good read and quite funny in places.
    that book is the one recommeded on my syllabus. must read it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steerpike1985)
    that book is the one recommeded on my syllabus. must read it!
    Ive been looking for a good maths book as a prep for uni also.
    Think Ill go for this one..
    Im finally getting out of the army (been here for 355 days now),
    so I think I should start using my brains again for a change.
    Looking forward in getting the book in the mail..

ReputationRep:
    no no no people!!!

there is no point. you get a book, and you either understand it all...in which case there was no point buying it as you already know it al or you understand none of it...and you get worked up into a hissy fit about you not being good enough to do maths at uni, which also has no point to it.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    no no no people!!!

there is no point. you get a book, and you either understand it all...in which case there was no point buying it as you already know it al or you understand none of it...and you get worked up into a hissy fit about you not being good enough to do maths at uni, which also has no point to it.

love Katy ***
    Huh? Isn't the point of a Maths book to either teach yourself new Maths or brush up on techniques?

ReputationRep:
    no no no people!!!

love Katy ***
    lol, makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    where are you going?

i'm not goin to do any maths again til i get to uni *am such a rebel*

lou xxx
    I am hopefully going to Oxford The Ian Stewart book was recommended by a teacher of mine, though. It takes you through everything from construction of the integers to infinites - basically a lot of number theory and analysis. I've done a lot of proof before so I'm finding it quite easy, but it is designed for people at this particular stage (school -> uni transition).

And I did so much maths last year it's untrue; it would feel really, really strange to do none at all. I like the subject

ReputationRep:

As bizarre as it might seem, I did recommend a book that people might learn something from (which is the middle ground you don't seem to consider to be a possibility) ... It's not your typically daunting university maths text.

ReputationRep:
    no no no people!!!

love Katy ***
    wow finally someone on this thread who shares my idea of a work ethic!

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    library?

Try

Reg Allenby - Numbers and Proofs (arnold 1997)

Victor Bryant - Yet Another Introduction to Analysis (cam uni press, 90)

Peter Eccles - An Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning (cam uni press, 97)

recommended by LSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steerpike1985)
    Does anyone recommend any good maths books to prepare me for studying maths at uni this october? I've contacted the maths department but there are about 50 books recommended. thanks
    You are a Mathematician (Penguin series)
    Fermats Last theorem (by simon singh)

ReputationRep:
    Proofs from the Book, by Aigner and Ziegler, simply beautiful ...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 6, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.