Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I did't get any offers for medicine this year and I am stuck between two choices for next year. My parents want me to do Biomedical Sciences at St. George's for a year while reapplying for Medicine. However, I want to take a gap year to do more work experience and earn so money while reapplying. Does anyone have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    can you reapply while in first year of Biomed? Just check again...
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    in theory you can however be aware of financial pitfalls (if you do a degree and another degree afterwards, usually you have to pay full whack without student loan, or even more.

ReputationRep:
    Very few unis consider applicants who are in their first year, so you will be severely limited. You will be grilled at interview as to why you decided against taking a gap year instead... good luck with that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by MCMXCVIII)
    I did't get any offers for medicine this year and I am stuck between two choices for next year. My parents want me to do Biomedical Sciences at St. George's for a year while reapplying for Medicine. However, I want to take a gap year to do more work experience and earn so money while reapplying. Does anyone have any advice?
    Good morning,

It's great that you want to study Medicine, and we're really sorry to hear that you didn't get any offers this time round.

The BioMedical Sciences course at St. George's is a three year course, for which you'll have to pay tuition fees etc. It's usually not recommended that you start a different degree with the intention of not finishing it, especially since it will cost you money, and give you no qualifications.

You have written above that you want to take a gap year in order to do more work experience and earn money. This is a much better idea! You'll really be able to boost your application, plus next time you apply to Medicine you'll have hopefully more time on your hands to focus on things the UKCAT/BMAT and interviews.

Have a read of this free blog, written by a student we met on The Student Room, who reapplied and turned her four rejections into four offers.

We hope the above helps, and good luck with your decision!

The Medic Portal
    (you can also find us here on TSR)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.