Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have recently signed up to POF and OK Cupied and I am in the process of refining my profile. The question is how honest should I be about health problems on it......

I have a genetic condition which thankfully does not effect me greatly. It basically causes non cancerous tumors to grow randomly on my nerves (NF1), thankfully I don't have to many, but they can grow at any time so in years to come I will have a few more lumps and bumps. At the moment I have a hundred ish pin prick pimples on my back and torso and a couple of larger bumps. The condition can also cause behavior issues in that I am a little introverted.

The question is should I outline it on my profile. I am looking for a LTR and kids eventually, with NF there is a 50/50 chance I will pass it on to a child and it could be worse for them. Also NF could develop to a greater degree on me, I lots of lumps and bumps making my appearance change further from the norm.

I have dated recently, first time looking for LTR/kids thing and I have not mentioned it to the 2-3 date when we talk about progressing to a proper relationship rather than dating, when I mention the NF I am friend zoned as they can't cope with the way I look/may look or the effect on any children. I talk to them about it before we get too close as I would not want to lead anybody one as I realise it could be a deal breaker for many many girls. So do you think I should put a brief line on a dating profile. Almost to filter out those who would find it a problem. I have had enough of having my heart broken on a number of occasions because of my NF!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't put it on there tbh. Online dating for men is difficult as it is, I wouldn't put things that could hinder your chances.. when you speak to someone for a while and get a better idea of who they are as a person, then you can tell them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rawfoodjunkie)
    I have recently signed up to POF and OK Cupied and I am in the process of refining my profile. The question is how honest should I be about health problems on it......

I have a genetic condition which thankfully does not effect me greatly. It basically causes non cancerous tumors to grow randomly on my nerves (NF1), thankfully I don't have to many, but they can grow at any time so in years to come I will have a few more lumps and bumps. At the moment I have a hundred ish pin prick pimples on my back and torso and a couple of larger bumps. The condition can also cause behavior issues in that I am a little introverted.

The question is should I outline it on my profile. I am looking for a LTR and kids eventually, with NF there is a 50/50 chance I will pass it on to a child and it could be worse for them. Also NF could develop to a greater degree on me, I lots of lumps and bumps making my appearance change further from the norm.

I have dated recently, first time looking for LTR/kids thing and I have not mentioned it to the 2-3 date when we talk about progressing to a proper relationship rather than dating, when I mention the NF I am friend zoned as they can't cope with the way I look/may look or the effect on any children. I talk to them about it before we get too close as I would not want to lead anybody one as I realise it could be a deal breaker for many many girls. So do you think I should put a brief line on a dating profile. Almost to filter out those who would find it a problem. I have had enough of having my heart broken on a number of occasions because of my NF!
    Well you already know the answer,why are you asking? If you tell them you get rejected

ReputationRep:
    I can't hide it from a partner for ever, when the clothes come off it wise it is pretty obvious! I just feel it could be better to be upfront first and thus those who can't deal with it can count me out straight away. I just feel if things got serious and I had not told them it would be unfair, almost misleading them!!!

ReputationRep:
    I would briefly mention your condition, don't go in great detail. Consider it as a blessing in disguise as you would keep those who don't deserve you at bay. Real love happens when the person accepts you for who you are, I hope you find the right one.

ReputationRep:
    No negatives on a dating profile. It's difficult for men already, as someone said before, so just make it a good profile that highlights your strengths.

ReputationRep:
    You should include it, if I was dating you and no the nf would not bother me I would want to know before otherwise I would feel mislead and could not trust you

ReputationRep:

It's up to you. I don't think it's necessary to reveal so publicly on your profile- that's more of a personal thing for when you've started speaking to someone for a little while. People scanning your profile don't need to know- it doesn't define you.

ReputationRep:
    I say let someone get to know you first, and then either before or after your first date just tell them. It's not necessary to reveal something so private on a public profile in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to give you the best online profile I've ever had. When I was dating, I decided to make a profile as a laugh. It went like this:

"I may weigh 600 pounds and be unable to reach every party of my body when I bathe, but I do try. I'm 35. I've never kissed a girl and I live in my parents basement. Please let me stalk you so my mother doesn't think I'm gay.

I like to collect stamps and watch anime - There's more to anime than scantily clad cartoon women gyrating. I like it for the plot or something. I can't remember any plots right now, but I'm sure they're awesome.

PS: I can't afford stamps, but I thought it would make me sound more well-rounded. I actually don't know anything about 'em."

A few really fake pictures, including a falling down shack as my house and a scooter as my vehicle and job's a good 'un. I got a lot of interest out of that. And it was a laugh.

You know what people don't want online? Something sad or serious. They want a laugh.

I don't know the layout of these online platform of late but I recall once okc had a part on the most private thing section and maybe hint that you have a genetic condition but you'll tell later if they're interested..balls in their court as it were!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm female and I have it all over my body . I know how you feel its depressing .. people say if someone really loves you they'll accept you.. but it isn't that easy its like a very low percentage these days that actually go by the whole " I love you for you not what you look like"

its sad that NF is not known as much as other skin conditions

I like someone who ive been talking to for some time now but I'm so scared to tell him. For the fear of rejection

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.