Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could mental health problems be mitigating factors when you get a 69% overall? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been teetering on a first for the last year or so buttwo recent grades I’ve received suggest to me that at my luckiest I’m going toend up with a 69% overallHere are my third year grades: 73, 71, 70, 68, 63And this year: 76, 67 I’m not expecting to get a first in my dissertation becauseI got 65% in my dissertation presentation that’s worth 30% of my overall markand the other module I had hoped would drag my grade up well, I got 73% on a10% module and 62% on a 40% essay so I’d have to get amazing in the exam toeven get a high 60s mark. I’m a bit upset really because my university career has notbeen a positive one and to get a first would have made it worth something. Ihave been plagued with mental health issues (hospitalized twice in my firstyear) and have bad anxiety/panic attacks as I was diagnosedwith an anxiety disorder when I was in high school. I have no idea what I’mgoing to do when I leave (can’t do a PGED because I don’t have the rightstandard grade maths, can’t join Aldi grad scheme because I don’t have adrivers licence) so I always thought ‘well,it’s better to be on the dole and have a first than be on the dole with a bogstandard 2.1’, I’m so anxious that having a 2.1 will make it much much harderfor me to find work than a first will because I have such crippling anxiety. Iwon’t stick around if all I can find is zero hour casual work; I’ve alreadymade my mind up about that. Is there anything I can do to help my case should I end upwith a 68-69% mark? It probably sounds self-entitled but I just want my timehere to mean something and I will be really disappointed with a 2.1

If you have mitigating circumstances, then I guess it's worth declaring them regardless.

To be honest, I would say that using mitigating circumstances to try to get a First would be very much against the spirit of what things like that are in place for.

I'd also be surprised if mitigating circumstances could be used in such a scenario. At my university, mitigating circumstances would make you eligible for an additional attempt at an examination if you failed, rather than giving you "extra marks".

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.